TPW 4/11… let’s see what everyone else that is waiting is.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SFLOY001

Reaction score
Called up GM today and I just found out today my car has been produced! I had a TPW of 3/28. They wouldn't give me a VIN# but I kindly asked if they could check. The woman told me the info she provides me depends on the supervisor who answers her call for my request - she said the person she spoke to winded up giving her the last 8 of the VIN, told her my car is in Texas and there's no transit date yet but expected to be put on a train.
Mine had same TPW, was built the 30th and they wouldnt give me vin either or tell me if it was in transit. Only going to LR, AR

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity for custom orders…..

how long do you have after init order to be advised of constraints and either decline the constrain items, and modify order before they go into production with. current parts inventory whether constraints or not?

Can you change order to different subfleet if not on constrain’t? As in up or down a trim level? Premier to RST or LT to Z71 etc…. I suspect that the constr as well intended to be advertised in advance can sneak up on some models…..

EX you order a Z71….they submit as normal with let’s say heated steering wheel constraint……you get a TPW in whatever the time frame is, lets say eight weeks out. A week before or possibly week of they say sliding moonroof or second row buckets are added to the list. Can they hold production for a couple of days to advise customer or do they start production and deal with the backlash after delivery? As we say in aviaTimon…..…” What are your intentions?

Rojosox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

how long do you have after init order to be advised of constraints and either decline the constrain items, and modify order before they go into production with. current parts inventory whether constraints or not?

Can you change order to different subfleet if not on constrain’t? As in up or down a trim level? Premier to RST or LT to Z71 etc…. I suspect that the constr as well intended to be advertised in advance can sneak up on some models…..

EX you order a Z71….they submit as normal with let’s say heated steering wheel constraint……you get a TPW in whatever the time frame is, lets say eight weeks out. A week before or possibly week of they say sliding moonroof or second row buckets are added to the list. Can they hold production for a couple of days to advise customer or do they start production and deal with the backlash after delivery? As we say in aviaTimon…..…” What are your intentions?
The most recent order I placed, the salesman told me what is on constraint etc. This was a much better ordering process for me then the first place in January.

He broke down what will be produced quickest and was fairly confident that the truck will take 6-10 weeks to be here (Boston area) with only luxury Package,sunroof, bucket seats. He also said any other additions such as floor mats etc to leave off build sheet and order separately.

I will see if that actually happens and I'm not holding my breath over it.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score

I can be wrong, but from what I’ve gathered this is how it works.

If a dealer has an open allocation for a particular trim for a car you’re ordering now, they should advise you about anything that’s on constraint in your order. If you want the car ASAP, you should exclude those things and place the order. That should make your order get accepted fairly quickly by GM. The Issue here is the salesman may not know what’s on constraint - but the ordering manager would know. They are not always in sync. Also not every time you “order a car” with a salesman does it actually get to the ordering manager to input that day as an actual order…so there could be a lag with when it’s ordered. Something you included may not be constraint that day but if the timing works out bad it could be on constraint when the ordering manager gets to it. If something is on constraint, theoretically the ordering manager should reach out to tell you before they enter the order in the system to see if you want to go ahead or not. However it seems like most people are never told. From here - I’ve come to a few conclusions to what happens if you order something on constraint when you’re told they have an allocation…. and I may be wrong but either

1. Your order is entered by the dealership but technically not entered for GM to accept it. This is likely because the dealer knows you have something on constraint and rather than your order hold up an open allocation, they go to the next order for that trim that has nothing on constraints . They’ll never tell you this..and once the item(s) in your order is no longer on constraint they’ll place your order officially

2. Your order is officially entered and the next step is GM to accept it, but they’ll never accept it because your order has something on constraint and it sits in dead man’s land until whatever is on constraint is No longer in constraint. The longer your order waits because of constraints, this is when the dealer should reach back out to you again to ask again if you want to remove what is on constraint, update the order and expedite the process for them to accept your order.

The other problem lies where you place an order but you’re behind a list of other orders, so you’re not going to be included in their next allocation. In this case, the constraints change week to week so unless your order is coming up in their list…it’s impossible to know when they order your car what you can and cannot get. However, once it’s your turn…pretty much everything I said above should apply.

In terms of just changing your trim - that would theoretically make you restart the whole process, unless the dealer explicitly tells you look I have XYZ trim in my next allocation that you can claim if you order that.

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your last paragraph is not totally correct. You can change your model and get placed the next day if the dealer gets allocation as long as there are no constraints or an older buildable sold order is not ahead of you. I changed from a SLT to a Denali with no extra wait time.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have been told that when the order has been officially accepted, your order moves to 3000, and no changes can be made to the order at that point...any applicable constraints that may have been active at time the order was accepted or that may come up until the vehicle is built have zero impact on the "accepted order"

I say that because GM won't accept an order that has an item on constraint AND the dealer didn't have an allocation for that constraint...the constraints that come up after it's been accepted only applies to orders that haven't been accepted...hence the reason the acceptance is such a big step

example, sunroof and Z71 may be constrained...if the dealer receives an allocation for a Z71, they can submit the order to be accepted....if the order has the sunroof listed, BUT the dealer DIDN'T get an allocation for the sunroof as well, the order won't be accepted...may sound too simple, but a dealer has to receive an allocation for all constraints if they want to place any order with those constraints...

another example...a poster mentioned that their dealer received multiple allocations for the Denali trim...but fewer allocations for sunroofs resulting in the dealer placing orders for non-sunroof Denalis...

If you want to change either your accepted order or the order that hasn't been accepted...your experience will probably just depend on each specific dealership...when changing from an AT4 to a Z71, my local dealer said he'd just leave the AT4 order in and submit another order for me...but he wasn't very transparent as to if my Z71 order would leapfrog the AT4 one in the line...honestly sounded like i just went to the back of the line...not surprising, neither order has been accepted from that dealer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
artmumf