TPMS trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron11389

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for guidance on my TPMS sensors. Bought wheels and tires from a guy who has a 2021 Silverado. He went straight to the tire shop from the dealer to get something different. All they did was pull his wheels and tires off the truck and they left the TPMS sensors. I can’t get my 2018 Tahoe to relearn the sensors on these new wheels now that they are on my Tahoe. I have the EL-50448/OEC-T5 relearn tool. Thanks in advance for any help.

C6CC25A6-7305-4B27-A58B-92F091BD9F2A.jpeg 4BE0DB7E-C249-4016-85E1-F18E88B7C88B.jpeg

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They changed the tpms part number from the previous body style to the 2015-20 body style. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they did it again with the 21s

I had the same problem when I bought wheels from a 15 Silverado and put them on my 2011. I had to get new sensors

Someone else might have more experience. I hate the damn sensors but I hate the light on my dash more

OP
OP
A

Aaron11389

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They changed the tpms part number from the previous body style to the 2015-20 body style. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they did it again with the 21s
I was wondering if it could be something like that. If so, do you think it will need a different relearn tool that runs on a different Mghz? I wonder if the 2021 sensors are even compatible with a 2018 model truck...

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it could be something like that. If so, do you think it will need a different relearn tool that runs on a different Mghz? I wonder if the 2021 sensors are even compatible with a 2018 model truck...
The tool is probably fine. The important part is If your car is compatible. Call Chevy and get the part numbers. For your 18. Then ask for the numbers for a 21 and see if they match or are different.
I tried rockauto but I can’t even get a part number on the 21s

also do you know if the tool is working? Did you mess with your stock tires to confirm recently?

OP
OP
A

Aaron11389

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The tool is probably fine. The important part is If your car is compatible. Call Chevy and get the part numbers. For your 18. Then ask for the numbers for a 21 and see if they match or are different.
I tried rockauto but I can’t even get a part number on the 21s

also do you know if the tool is working? Did you mess with your stock tires to confirm recently?

Yes, I did roll one of my original wheel/tire up to the front driver side while the truck was in learn mode and it did connect to that sensor. So I know the tool works, just not sure if it works with my new TPMS sensors. But I’m betting it’s just something to do with 2021 sensors? I wonder if everything would be just fine if I had found a guy selling wheels and tires off a 2020 Silverado instead of 2021 lol.

I reckon I’ll call my local Chevy dealer tomorrow and see if I can pick their brain about it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the part numbers with the dealer, for sure. It is possible that the TMPS sensors for different years operate on a different frequency, and thus may not communicate with the truck's system.

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems the pre 21' used the 315 MHz system and in 21' they now use the 433 MHz system, that system can reset themselves without using a reset tool, just by driving. Your 18' truck can't talk to the new pressure sensors from what the service manual says

OP
OP
A

Aaron11389

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems the pre 21' used the 315 MHz system and in 21' they now use the 433 MHz system, that system can reset themselves without using a reset tool, just by driving. Your 18' truck can't talk to the new pressure sensors from what the service manual says
Thank you for that info! Greatly appreciate all responses! Any recommendations on after market sensors? My local dealer wants 75 bucks a piece. Should I just bite the bullet and get the OEM sensors?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that info! Greatly appreciate all responses! Any recommendations on after market sensors? My local dealer wants 75 bucks a piece. Should I just bite the bullet and get the OEM sensors?
Do you have the old wheels? Can’t you just pull the sensors from those and swap?

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk how to share links on rock auto. But I bought the ACDELCO tpms175k for my 15 yukon from rock auto for $34 a piece. I guess depends how much your mechanic wants to charge for install though.

no extra programming required. They sync up to the car with that $10 tool everyone has. Or u can try the inflate/deflate method

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts