Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
onebadrado

onebadrado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no the trailer is not equipped with electric brakes its not an enclosed trailer... just a regular sing car/truck trailer.. open......

intruck design... mine squats alot more than your i think il have to take soem pics the next time i load my rig up. aint done it in a while.. but i think it sits lower than an inch...

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that your trailer doesn't have any brakes...atleast on one axle...mine is a 18ft. and I have brakes on both axles, I could not imagine towing it without them.

OP
OP
onebadrado

onebadrado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea mines the same size as yours... as far a i know it dont...... but i have pulled that trailer all summer last summer without any issues.. i might just put my stock wheels back on and pull it like i did last summer.... yea im sure the strain on the brakes of the tahoe was alot but didnt seem to bad i guess im not the kind that hauls ass everywhere lol....

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
no the trailer is not equipped with electric brakes its not an enclosed trailer... just a regular sing car/truck trailer.. open......

intruck design... mine squats alot more than your i think il have to take soem pics the next time i load my rig up. aint done it in a while.. but i think it sits lower than an inch...

If the trailer does not have brakes, I would pull the wheels off for sure. With that much trailer weight and no brakes makes that pull very unsafe. If this is something you plan to do often, I would have brakes installed on the trailer and then an electric brake controller installed at the same time.
You are taking on a huge liability running a heavy trailer with no brakes. The OEM brakes heat up way to fast and you will get significant brake fade and warping.

OP
OP
onebadrado

onebadrado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the trailer does not have brakes, I would pull the wheels off for sure. With that much trailer weight and no brakes makes that pull very unsafe. If this is something you plan to do often, I would have brakes installed on the trailer and then an electric brake controller installed at the same time.
You are taking on a huge liability running a heavy trailer with no brakes. The OEM brakes heat up way to fast and you will get significant brake fade and warping.

yea i plan on doing a big brake set up on my tahoe sometime soon.. the trailer is not mine but a friends that i borrow from... i pretty sure i will not pull it with the 6s just because how much it drops inthe back and me running a smaler tire im not going to risk it.. thanks guys...

chiech233

Reaction score
i know you said new tahoe but ive pulled several vehicles being lowered on 26s my only problem is stopping distance is a lil longer than safe so the brakes are the main thing to worry about but my ride was way better pulling with stock suspension which is a giving

kfriceman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tow all summer a 21 foot ski boat...im on 24s...no problems at all. BUT my next mod will be some air bag helpers just to keep the back end from sagging and puttin all that pressure on the rear end.

Air bags will do nothing for taking the pressure of the rear; yes you will achieve a level load but that is it......a mere band-aide aesthetic fix for zero funtional gain.

What you need is a properly rated and installed Weight Distribution Hitch. With this hitch you will achieve a level load and more importantly re-distributing weight from the rear axle back to the front axle and trailers axles. The most positive result is to achieve equilibrium of axle load weights to the front and rear of the tow vehicle with the trailer hitched up, AKA, weight distributed.

-Kevin

Remeber your rig is only rated for a max undistibuted tongue weight of 600 lbs. and 1000 lbs. with use of a Weight Distribution Hitch.

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
minus the brakes, i have some concerns. A friend of mine, his car broke down about 200 miles away, asked me to go get it with him since i have the tahoe and a trailer (not a car trailer, but dual axle and about 12ft).

Now i am at the point of changing the oil, but givin the holidays and us leaving friday i dont have time to change it - unless i do it myself. Would this be a problem if i dont change it (right at miles/ over date, but still have maybe 55% according to comp)?

NOTES: 12ft trailer + 2003 BMW 325

Tire inflation: should i pump them up a little?

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
minus the brakes, i have some concerns. A friend of mine, his car broke down about 200 miles away, asked me to go get it with him since i have the tahoe and a trailer (not a car trailer, but dual axle and about 12ft).

Now i am at the point of changing the oil, but givin the holidays and us leaving friday i dont have time to change it - unless i do it myself. Would this be a problem if i dont change it (right at miles/ over date, but still have maybe 55% according to comp)?

NOTES: 12ft trailer + 2003 BMW 325

Tire inflation: should i pump them up a little?

How many miles are on your oil? Synthetic? Pull out the dipstick, wipe it off, what color is it? Inflate the tires to the recommended on the door (32 for me). A 12 foot trailer towing a car almost 15 feet long is a terrible choice.

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on your oil? Synthetic? Pull out the dipstick, wipe it off, what color is it? Inflate the tires to the recommended on the door (32 for me). A 12 foot trailer towing a car almost 15 feet long is a terrible choice.

3000 miles
not synthetic
ill check dip stick later, but assume its not clean but not black
i have oversized tires and 32 is below the recommended for what i have, but for the manufacturer the most is 80 and im at 42 which is recommended for normal driving.
ok maybe its a 15 footer then, but i know it will fit.

and i have a regular 4.5 drop hitch, think that will be ok?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bone