Towing temp going up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow haul mode on up hill with 5k trailer temps keep going up with ac on. Temp went to 235 then I pulled over and went down right to 210. Did that twice but always went down . Most of the trip was uphill for 275 miles .

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow haul mode on up hill with 5k trailer temps keep going up with ac on. Temp went to 235 then I pulled over and went down right to 210. Did that twice but always went down . Most of the trip was uphill for 275 miles .

The trans can take that temp easily, the warnings don't come on until the 260s. However, the fluid is quickly used up and should be replaced soon than later.

The engine will cool better towing in 4th with the rpms up too if you weren't already doing that or in 3rd if going slower. 5th and 6th make a lot of heat in overdrive with low engine rpms.

OP
OP
97audia4

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans can take that temp easily, the warnings don't come on until the 260s. However, the fluid is quickly used up and should be replaced soon than later.

The engine will cool better towing in 4th with the rpms up too if you weren't already doing that or in 3rd if going slower. 5th and 6th make a lot of heat in overdrive with low engine rpms.

It's coolant temp going up , trans temp stayed 165 . Coolant almost hit 240 at one point towing in 4th at 54

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't behave like that. Only time I see the coolant temp move is when I'm REALLY stressing it, like pulling an 8600-lb trailer up the Continental Divide summits in the Rockies.

Check the radiator fins for dirt/debris. When was the last time you changed the coolant and did a flush?

OP
OP
97audia4

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't behave like that. Only time I see the coolant temp move is when I'm REALLY stressing it, like pulling an 8600-lb trailer up the Continental Divide summits in the Rockies.

Check the radiator fins for dirt/debris. When was the last time you changed the coolant and did a flush?

I'll double check it , coolant was rushed about 7 months ago with fresh coolant. It's super clean still and at the full mark

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your cooling fans running? Also, maybe the water pump is starting to go bad. I think the impellor in them go bad and won't circulate coolant effectively.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are your cooling fans running? Also, maybe the water pump is starting to go bad. I think the impellor in them go bad and won't circulate coolant effectively.

Impeller goes bad??

OP
OP
97audia4

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Fans are running , ac is on and you can hear them running.

OP
OP
97audia4

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The strange part is when I pull over it goes from 240 to 210 on the guage in no time and I can continue on for a little bit before it goes up again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645