Towing home a 2 Dr Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gorilla72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well Im still on the hunt for a semi local (95) 2 door and found another. Its been a long search but I think I may have found a decent one.
If it works out Im thinking on hauling it home since its out of inspection and seller doesnt want to get it inspected. Claims he lost his license and its been sitting for 8 months. August was the last for the inspection sticker. He offered delivery for $200 or said to come with a tow dolly.

I dont want to remove the drive shaft for the tow dolly (UHaul) as the transmission fluid will leak out.
I was messing around with UHauls website and seeing what my options were but so far nothing is compatiable according to their site. Not even with a 10' uhaul truck and auto transport. The only thing compatible is their tow dolly & and 8' uhaul pick up truck.

Anyone have any ideas? I prefer to tow it myself as I would rather be there while towing it.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look onto your state laws for vehicle purchase. i know here in Pennsylvania if you purchased an operational and safe vehicle you can drive it home. after that you supposedly have 10 days to get it inspected from the date of purchase. as for removing the driveshaft you could just swing by a local 4wd shop and try to buy the output shaft cap from them. i forgot what i used to cap my 95 suburban but it was something around the house.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you rent from U-Haul, they are very skittish about weights so you will be limited.

As for removing your drive shaft, might see if you can find a old drive shaft and take the spline off of it and put it in the transmission and secure it in place while you tow it. However, you’d want to replace the transmission fluid anyways so if some leaked out, not a big deal.

Also, I don’t see why not having a current inspection would keep you from driving it. I’m assuming you are allowed to transport a vehicle since you just purchased it. Just like temp tags.

OP
OP
G

Gorilla72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, Ill check into driving it home and the inspection (10 day) allowance. I will also see about a different yoke. It would be much cheaper just to drive it home but he states the tires which are 33 x 12.50's will pass but are pretty worn. I assuming near the bars. Also a 2 hr ride one way so Im hoping his statement of it runs great is true if I choose this way. lol!
I was kinda thinking since it was a full size truck weight was the issue with uhauls auto transport but I wasnt 100% sure so I figured I would seek some better judgement.
Thanks again for the help. Will be posting more IF its a good truck. Happy to have found one. :)

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
Are we just talking about getting a 4X4 towed? The tow company should have a flat bed.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What U-Haul doesn't know you towed, won't hurt them. ;)
buddy of mine used to tow his drag car to the track with a light duty pickup truck. when he rent it he was always towing with a large 2500 when he went to pick it up he showed up in his 2wd f150 they never questioned him.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
back when i used to work in shipping and receiving the saying was always "if it fits it ships". had to rewrap a couple of loads and slide them across the trailer because there was no room to lift them. shipping manager gave me the wrong trailer a few times aswell and would just yell across the radio "just load the d**n trailer". glad i don't have to deal with any of that anymore.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well Im still on the hunt for a semi local (95) 2 door and found another. Its been a long search but I think I may have found a decent one.
If it works out Im thinking on hauling it home since its out of inspection and seller doesnt want to get it inspected. Claims he lost his license and its been sitting for 8 months. August was the last for the inspection sticker. He offered delivery for $200 or said to come with a tow dolly.

I dont want to remove the drive shaft for the tow dolly (UHaul) as the transmission fluid will leak out.
I was messing around with UHauls website and seeing what my options were but so far nothing is compatiable according to their site. Not even with a 10' uhaul truck and auto transport. The only thing compatible is their tow dolly & and 8' uhaul pick up truck.

Anyone have any ideas? I prefer to tow it myself as I would rather be there while towing it.
Is it just me or does something sound a little fishy with this guy---the owner of the Tahoe.