Torsion bar madness HELLLP *RESOLVED*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gdsmith07

Reaction score
Alright I’ve searched the thread and haven’t been able to compile enough info to answer my questions.

I’ve got my 2005 Yukon in the garage right now. I can’t figure out this damn suspension.

I replaced the entire front end a few months back and a few days ago I got back from work and decided I’d take the Yukon out for a drive.

It rides like crap ….

When I pulled the LCA’s I left the corresponding torsion bar with key in the old LCA. Then I just swapped it over the new LCA and with the correct key and installed from there.

With the Yukon sitting currently on tires it’s throwing the CV angle what seems like way out of whack and I don’t have the key cranked up at all.

However in searching through the forum I saw that someone had said that the bars have one side of them stamped on the end and the stamped end is supposed to face the rear. My stamped end is in my front LCA….. is this my problem? Are they able to be flipped like that ? Is there a possibility the guy before me flipped them to attempt to keep the ride height higher ?

OP
OP
G

Gdsmith07

Reaction score
D6AC761B-FA50-434C-B85A-68B064A0A2DD.jpeg

Attachments

• 243AC15C-885A-4894-8512-4C070CDD8101.jpeg
    243AC15C-885A-4894-8512-4C070CDD8101.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
G

Gdsmith07

Reaction score
Guys…. I’m an idiot. This has an obvious lift under it so I’m guessing these keys are for a lift. I have a spacer on the bottom of my strut that I realize now isn’t factory. Holy crap…. I’m an idiot hahahaha

Okay so how can I help my cv’s with this lift? I feel I’m probably height maxed out with my cv angles and I would have to do a diff drop to correct it. Am I correct in assuming this.

1badjimmy

Reaction score
Guys…. I’m an idiot. This has an obvious lift under it so I’m guessing these keys are for a lift. I have a spacer on the bottom of my strut that I realize now isn’t factory. Holy crap…. I’m an idiot hahahaha

Pic of the spacer?

If your second picture is NOT of the vehicle lifted with a jack or supported by jack stands then yes you are at max lift. See how the upper control arm is all but touching the frame piece below it.

More than likely what you have is a leveling kit. A full on lift kit will drop your differential and ease your CV angles. It will probably also bring the front up more. Lowest actual differential lift kits that I am aware of start at 4 inches.

Also it happens to all of us.

OP
OP
G

Gdsmith07

Reaction score
31454398-0EB9-4209-AA62-F93D796F11F8.jpeg

It was not supported in the photos my Jack is just chilling there for a photo op.

Currently aligning the front end, went for an around the block cruise snd it seemed the cv’s settled a little after I backed off the keys last night. Let y’all know how the test drive goes.

OP
OP
G

Gdsmith07

Reaction score
This is the second time I’ve tried to align the truck. I’m beginning to suspect something else is at play and not allowing me to get a proper toe alignment.

Going to get a second set of hands and see if maybe my idler and pitman arm are a little worn. Only steering components I didn’t replace and they didn’t appear to be bad when I initially changed the front end parts.

As a circle back this has all started because

1.) I have a consistent what sounds like bad cv click coming from the front driver side.

2.) when I engage 4WD the truck feels like it just is stumbling over itself and also likes to jump from left to right.

When I bought it, the PO said that he hasn’t been running the 4WD due to the fact that he had a front differential leak and when he took to the shop they recommended not to run it.

I got it up in the air and checked the diff fluid level was fine but noticed some weeping around the drivers side seal. So I replaced the seal. No new diff leaks have appeared.

Grabs case fluid level was good and transfer case doesn’t make any weird noises.

Basically my hunch is that it’s something with the suspension/steering that’s causing the 4WD craziness. I mean anything causing that much play in the front differential I would assume would just grenade the front diff rather quickly and I’ve never had an issue with the diff being hot or letting go or making noise.

If anyone’s got any ideas I’m open to anything at this point.

1badjimmy

Reaction score
That there is one of them budget leveling kits.

My best guess is that maybe the CV angles are allowing the inner joint to come out and go back in. Which could cause the jumpiness.

OP
OP
G

Gdsmith07

Reaction score
Im
Wondering if I should just remove the leveling kit and bring it back to relative stock height and then Crank the keys a little instead.

I was planning on ordering a coil over conversion kit and doing a proper lift then. Wonder if it’d be best to return to stock and deal With it later. Hopefully the springs in the back haven’t been changed. But honestly the suspension feels like riding on bricks right now.

OP
OP
G

Gdsmith07

Reaction score
But I’ve got 285’s under it now. Idk if they’ll fit with a stock height. I’d it’ll be real tight hahahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts