Torque, meaty rubbers and pavement plus jumping off the line and hard cornering equals rogue tires. No injuries. Felt it coming and was pulling over.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I notice they don’t state they’re hub-centric either. All spacers that are that I’ve seen clearly state that in the description. I’m thinking what happened here was the spacers were installed wrong ie either the wrong lugs were used in the wrong location ( aluminum lugs were meant to be used with aluminum studs) or they weren’t properly torqued onto the hubs, or they’re not hub centric which is known to be disastrous on our trucks. I used Supreme Suspension spacers and the instructions state to torque them to 140 ft lbs, then remove the wheels after 50 miles and re-torque them as well as torquing the wheels themselves to the spacers to 140 ft lbs. They are hub centric which is important otherwise all the weight is supported only by the studs instead of the hub itself like intended. And the studs and lugs sure weren’t aluminum.

OP
OP

01 Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pure aluminumu
Yes, the spacers themselves are aluminum I’m not doubting that. Nowhere does it say anything about aluminum studs or lugs. That’s what I do not understand. Never in my life have I ever heard of studs or lugs being made of aluminum, and I guarantee you if somebody sold me spacers with aluminum studs reinstalled, or aluminum lugs, I’d send them back and ask them if they’re out of their mind, especially on a truck or SUV. Maybe others have used them but I sure wo

Yes, the spacers themselves are aluminum I’m not doubting that. Nowhere does it say anything about aluminum studs or lugs. That’s what I do not understand. Never in my life have I ever heard of studs or lugs being made of aluminum, and I guarantee you if somebody sold me spacers with aluminum studs reinstalled, or aluminum lugs, I’d send them back and ask them if they’re out of their mind, especially on a truck or SUV. Maybe others have used them but I sure wouldn’t.
You are correct. But the existing steel studs against the aluminum spacer.....steel wins.

OP
OP

01 Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
But they use steel studs against aluminum wheels all the time plus thousands of trucks run spacers. Something was wr

But they use steel studs against aluminum wheels all the time plus thousands of trucks run spacers. Something was wrong with the install.
Only possible other reason could be over toque. Il take a pic of the holes. Thats a huge amount of friction even for lugs to tight. That being said, could a sticky brake pad creating more heat add to the break down? I did notice on that assembly the back side pad was much more worn down.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But they use steel studs against aluminum wheels all the time plus thousands of trucks run spacers. Something was wrong with the install.
Exactly. Millions of aluminum alloy wheels out there, bolted on with steel studs and lugs. I want to see pics of these aluminum studs and lugs you’re talking about @01 Hoe.

OP
OP

01 Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Exactly. Millions of aluminum alloy wheels out there, bolted on with steel studs and lugs. I want to see pics of these aluminum studs and lugs you’re talking about @01 Hoe.

Attachments

• 20211002_112732.jpg
    20211002_112732.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211002_112748.jpg
    20211002_112748.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Good pics of the studs and lugs there, lol.

Have you removed the spacers from the wheels yet?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Those are the same pics you posted originally. C’mon man! Post the photos of the hub on the truck and of the actual broken bits. Other wise change your title to “Incorrectly installed spacers is a safety hazard” and hand in your tools and your camera. LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts