Torque, meaty rubbers and pavement plus jumping off the line and hard cornering equals rogue tires. No injuries. Felt it coming and was pulling over.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen aluminum studs or lugs on a spacer. I was running 2” spacers on 26’s that had steel studs and steel lugs. You said you used the provided aluminum lugs on the factory steel studs to mount the spacer and then used the factory steel lugs on the aluminum studs that were on the spacers? That definitely is a recipe for disaster.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry the "wheel" is mounted using ALUMINUM studs from the spacer with the existing steel lugs.The spacers come with their own lugs which are also aluminum. Using the stock steel studs to mount the spacer with its aluminum lugs and in turn aluminum studs with existing steel lugs to mount "wheel". The failure occurred at the spacer where the steel studs are mounting the spacer. The steel studs chewed the aluminum allowing the aluminum lugs to walk. And the wheel goes for a tour. If that clarifies for you.
Since when did anybody start using aluminum studs? Or aluminum lugs? I sure wouldn’t.

OP
OP

01 Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never seen aluminum studs or lugs on a spacer. I was running 2” spacers on 26’s that had steel studs and steel lugs. You said you used the provided aluminum lugs on the factory steel studs to mount the spacer and then used the factory steel lugs on the aluminum studs that were on the spacers? That definitely is a recipe for disaster.
Def aluminum

OP
OP

01 Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've ran spacers like that before, but they were only 1" thick (35mm) and made from billit aluminum and had standard steel wheel studs/lugs pressed into them from the back to mount the wheel to.

Sounds like the aluminum they were made from couldn't stand up to the 2" thickness and the large tires.
Exactly

OP
OP

01 Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never seen aluminum studs or lugs on a spacer. I was running 2” spacers on 26’s that had steel studs and steel lugs. You said you used the provided aluminum lugs on the factory steel studs to mount the spacer and then used the factory steel lugs on the aluminum studs that were on the spacers? That definitely is a recipe for disa

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211005-131809.png
    Screenshot_20211005-131809.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 12

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pure aluminum
Yes, the spacers themselves are aluminum I’m not doubting that. Nowhere does it say anything about aluminum studs or lugs. That’s what I do not understand. Never in my life have I ever heard of studs or lugs being made of aluminum, and I guarantee you if somebody sold me spacers with aluminum studs reinstalled, or aluminum lugs, I’d send them back and ask them if they’re out of their mind, especially on a truck or SUV. Maybe others have used them but I sure wouldn’t.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pure aluminum
This is just a technicality, but 6061 T6 aluminum alloy, which your product was made out of, is far from 'pure' aluminum. With more than 2 decades of primary, extruded, and fabricated metal experience, I can certainly tell you that pure aluminum is not really much use for anything, and would be disastrous for this application.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rough country is bottom of the barrel brand that might explain why...... the 4x4 shop here in town calls it garbage, there words were "that stuff is garbage" lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84