Torque Converter Shudder...Best Course of Action?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

WQFTruckster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The only place I know of to get an OEM transmission and warranty, is at the stealership.
Ah, got it. Should have known. Sorry, long day yesterday.

Guess I'll give the local dealership a call today for a quote. Not really thrilled about the reviews I've seen from their service department, but the nationwide warranty is attractive.

If I don't go that route, any suggestions for reman transmissions that have upgraded parts or beefier TC? If I could verify the transmission was still in good shape I'd be willing to just swap the TC and keep going for a while. But I'm concerned if the TC clutch is letting go there may already be trash in the tranny.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only place I know of to get an OEM transmission and warranty, is at the stealership.
The last time I looked a few of the online places like GM Parts Direct sold GM reman transmissions. I believe everything they sell is covered under the GM standard warranty and dealers will honor the work.

OP
OP
W

WQFTruckster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone know if I can manually engage/disengage the TC lockup clutch using the Tech II? Still not 100% sure I'm barking up the right tree. Hoping to get some time to diagnose it better tomorrow.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if I can manually engage/disengage the TC lockup clutch using the Tech II? Still not 100% sure I'm barking up the right tree. Hoping to get some time to diagnose it better tomorrow.
I will take a look in the path documentation I printed off on the Tech 2 a while ago, but I honestly doubt it. I haven’t looked inside one of these TCs but I think it is a purely mechanical device.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
GM will sell you the trans. IIRC you can install it and they’ll still warranty the trans but not cover the labor under warranty.

Or you can have any certified shop (ASE? I can’t recall) install it and it will have a labor warranty. Of course most shops won’t install parts you bring them… so THEY will buy it wholesale from GM and charge you retail. That’s the breaks.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM will sell you the trans. IIRC you can install it and they’ll still warranty the trans but not cover the labor under warranty.

Or you can have any certified shop (ASE? I can’t recall) install it and it will have a labor warranty. Of course most shops won’t install parts you bring them… so THEY will buy it wholesale from GM and charge you retail. That’s the breaks.
Yes, this matches my understanding also. The benefit to using a stealership is that the warranty will cover both the transmission AND the labor. If you choose to have another shop install a GM reman, then the labor part of the warranty would be limited to that shop.

Personally, I'm okay with a local shop doing the overhaul on mine when the time comes, because they will upgrade many of the internals to better aftermarket parts, and the likelihood of ever having a problem again is a relatively small risk to me that I'm willing to take.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Actually IIRC, GM will warranty the labor, as long as their transmission is installed by a certified shop.

OP
OP
W

WQFTruckster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Personally, I'm okay with a local shop doing the overhaul on mine when the time comes, because they will upgrade many of the internals to better aftermarket parts, and the likelihood of ever having a problem again is a relatively small risk to me that I'm willing to take.
I'm liking that idea more too. I just found a local transmission shop with good reviews. Waiting to hear back from them.

I sent an email to the dealer service department asking for a quote on a transmission swap and 10 minutes later got a response from the sales guy following up on "my inquiry to purchase a new vehicle". Ya, no.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually IIRC, GM will warranty the labor, as long as their transmission is installed by a certified shop.
That's accurate, though the language is a little confusing because it stipulates that only the ISC or any dealer can perform the repairs.

1635519606516.png