Torque converter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2DR4EVR

Reaction score
Torque Converter question.
I was hoping to gather some info on the torque converter. Mine is going out. slipping at high speeds and loads and some venting of the fluid. Low speed you would never know, except for the poor gas mileage.

I went way over budget on my latest project so I'm feeling the pinch now.

Will I be tearing the transmission up if I put this off for a month or two? Minimal driving.

And when I do go to fix it, are there any heavy duty or better options than stock? I will be pulling about an 8000 lb boat in the near future. If so, does it need to be mated to a not stock tranny? 4x4 by the way.

Thanks gents.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the clutches in the convertor are tearing themselves up there won't be anything that will damage the rest of the transmission.

If you tow all the time they make towing convertors that behave differently then a street or street/strip convertor.

Are you sure the slipping is the convertor and not the band in 4th?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I deleted your other thread (07+ general section) and I'm going to move this one as well to the corect section.

I moved it out of the

General section (Discuss anything else that doesn't fit in to one of the other categories about the 1994 -1999 models here.)

and in to

Engine & Drivetrain (Discuss engine and drivetrain items from brakes, transmissions, error codes, anything in the engine bay and so on here.)

OP
OP
2DR4EVR

2DR4EVR

Reaction score
Thanks for the info torq. I'm hoping its just the converter. Going to have look inside of it in a week or two and take it from there.

I just relocated to FL so I'm starting over with locating a good trustworthy shop. But initial diagnosis was the converter. I was hoping for just a leaky seal. No dice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper