GM converter upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali GMC 87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello folks. Have a Hopefully simple question to ask. My 2008 Denali has 220k. Runs smooth no issues shifts fine also. However I'm contemplating if I should upgrade the torque converter with the GM Zl1 style converter. The transmission fluid is dark and I figured maybe this would be cheap insurance to get a few more years out of it. My question is which part number would I order. I found this number upon research on another thread:
  • Replaces:24240154, 24242552, 24242553

Would this be worth doing also?

Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello folks. Have a Hopefully simple question to ask. My 2008 Denali has 220k. Runs smooth no issues shifts fine also. However I'm contemplating if I should upgrade the torque converter with the GM Zl1 style converter. The transmission fluid is dark and I figured maybe this would be cheap insurance to get a few more years out of it. My question is which part number would I order. I found this number upon research on another thread:
  • Replaces:24240154, 24242552, 24242553
Would this be worth doing also?

Thanks!
any brand name billet converter is what you want the gm one is the weak point

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello folks. Have a Hopefully simple question to ask. My 2008 Denali has 220k.
Runs smooth no issues shifts fine also.
However I'm contemplating if I should upgrade the torque converter with the GM ZL1 style converter.
The transmission fluid is dark and I figured maybe this would be cheap insurance to get a few more years out of it.
My question is which part number would I order ...
any brand name billet converter is what you want.
the gm one is the weak point
Long story, as short as possible:
What he said. Avoid GM. You'll get more bang-for-your-buck from the aftermarket in terms of longevity and durability.

To make the story a little longer:
Did you delete or at least disable V4 mode? Or did yours not come with V4 mode?
If it has V4 mode (L94 yes, L9H no, L92 pre-disabled?), at least disable it if you can't delete it.

And if you need to disable V4 mode, you'd need a tune anyway.
That should also address increasing the durability of the torque converter clutch, in addition to everything else you can think of.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
L92s do not use V4 mode. However,
there's a very small chance that it has V4 mode hardware, without V4 mode - pre-disabled.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
220k for an 08 Denali Orig trans is remarkable. I sold ours @ 140k and moved to an 09 at 140k because I discovered there was a TSB on a weak point in the 07 / 08 6L80 that led to a slip and eventually a failure in the 2-3 shift.

The 09 still had its Orig trans fail last year @ 172k but it bought me three more years after I sold the 08 Denali. If you’re the Orig owner and the trans is happy, keep changing the fluid and spend the dough on a total trans rebuild when you get to 300k. It’s just due and better to put a billet tc in a new trans than a 250k mi unit because labor for pulling trans is substantial.

Good year Denali to have. They’re quick little suckers.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CTS-V converter is not the same as a truck 6L80 converter (which really only became a major problem after 2015). The CTS-V converter is a dual clutch unit as is the 21+ 6L90 gasser converter which has an 1800 RPM stall. Circle D transmissions recommends both of those. I’ve decided to go with the CTS-V converter in both of mine for the slightly higher stall.

The aftermarket reman one with the billet housing is good also but is more expensive and has a stock stall.

In your case, I would not touch a 220k transmission. I wouldn’t spend the money to replace just a torque converter at that mileage. Save your money for a rebuild or replacement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019