Torque Converter or Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian1133

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2014 tahoe with the 6speed transmission. At times my transmission will act like it goes neutral under moderate to hard acceleration, I would have to let off the gas to snap back in. The first time I noticed it was on a 10 hour drive from MD to Nashville and my truck had about 25,000 miles. I accelerated hard from a stop, and around 60mph @ 3500rpm it revved to 6000rpm, let off the gas and then kicked into gear no codes or anything. As I drove more over the years on the highway, it became more prominent. Now I can be riding about 50 and hit the gas moderately it will rev like it's in neutral sometimes til I let off the gas, or get into gear but as if someone was letting go of a clutch (for the old guys like me that used to drive a stick). I'm driving more on the highway nowbeen and it's starting to bother me, albeit it hasn't done it in about a week. I have 170,000 miles on my truck. No one has ever able to find out what the issue is. Does anyone have any experience with this on the 6speed 5.3?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the service history? Have you kept an eye on the fluid level? These may not be the issue at hand, but needed info nonetheless. I'm going to say torque converter based on the actions and the fact that these transmissions seem to have an inherent fail date. Either way, you're looking at a bigger job. If you catch it before failure and it is the torque converter, then you can save yourself some money before the whole trans is shot. But, with the number of miles, it may be time for a GM Certa trans if you like the truck and want to keep it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 tahoe with the 6speed transmission. At times my transmission will act like it goes neutral under moderate to hard acceleration, I would have to let off the gas to snap back in. The first time I noticed it was on a 10 hour drive from MD to Nashville and my truck had about 25,000 miles. I accelerated hard from a stop, and around 60mph @ 3500rpm it revved to 6000rpm, let off the gas and then kicked into gear no codes or anything. As I drove more over the years on the highway, it became more prominent. Now I can be riding about 50 and hit the gas moderately it will rev like it's in neutral sometimes til I let off the gas, or get into gear but as if someone was letting go of a clutch (for the old guys like me that used to drive a stick). I'm driving more on the highway nowbeen and it's starting to bother me, albeit it hasn't done it in about a week. I have 170,000 miles on my truck. No one has ever able to find out what the issue is. Does anyone have any experience with this on the 6speed 5.3?
My take is that something is releasing the hydraulic pressure on one of the clutch packs, causing it to disengage. If it were the TC, I wouldn't expect it to fully disengage the drive because it's essentially a turbine so it can't release the torque instantly like that. My money is on one of the pressure regulators in the valvebody being defective from get get-go. Time to get that transmission out though and have it rebuilt properly.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def not torque converter imo... Your trans is on it's way out, even if just low
on fluid ;it sounds like it's been acting like this for a while
No info on mileage/usage/ service history/ etc as of this point

OP
OP
B

Brian1133

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the service history? Have you kept an eye on the fluid level? These may not be the issue at hand, but needed info nonetheless. I'm going to say torque converter based on the actions and the fact that these transmissions seem to have an inherent fail date. Either way, you're looking at a bigger job. If you catch it before failure and it is the torque converter, then you can save yourself some money before the whole trans is shot. But, with the number of miles, it may be time for a GM Certa trans if you like the truck and want to keep it.
So I've changed the filter and fluid just about every 45,000 miles and I have no leaks. What's a Certa Trans? I want to keep my for as long as I can.

OP
OP
B

Brian1133

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, how much should I be saving up? Last time I bought a transmission, not sure what brand, I paid 3600 for a new one with 36,000 warranty for my wife's 5 speed explorer from an independent shop. The new one went out a few weeks before the warranty expired so I really lucked out. But I'm sure it wasn't a ford tranny.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've changed the filter and fluid just about every 45,000 miles and I have no leaks. What's a Certa Trans? I want to keep my for as long as I can.
Certified. GM offers a fantastic warranty on their certified transmissions that can be used at any GM dealer.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, how much should I be saving up? Last time I bought a transmission, not sure what brand, I paid 3600 for a new one with 36,000 warranty for my wife's 5 speed explorer from an independent shop. The new one went out a few weeks before the warranty expired so I really lucked out. But I'm sure it wasn't a ford tranny.
For a dealer-installed GM certified transmission you're looking at around $5-5.5K. My local indy transmission shop here that does really good work quoted me $3.5K for a rebuild on my 2007 including an upgraded billet TC. Fortunately I don't need it yet, but it's good to know the price anyway.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I'm curious about this.
Does it do it in all gears or just one?

Off the top of my head, it sounds like the "1-2-3-4 drum or piston has a crack in it.
burns clutch out, confuses rebuilders.
It's good times!

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score

Cracks in the 1-2-3-4 piston

Early versions of this transmission are known to develop cracks in the 1234 piston and sometimes in the piston itself. Transmission re-manufacturers like Street Smart Transmission will install an updated 6L80 1234 piston and housing to properly correct the problem.

Cracked drum

Many times, 3-5-R clutch problems and failures can be traced back to a failed drum weld. Many rebuilders will simply weld the cracks, but that generally leads to more issues later on. Transmission re-manufacturers like Street Smart Transmission will install an updated 6L80 clutch drum to properly correct the problem.

4-5-6 clutch hub and intermediate shaft

Due to issues with the original manufacturing process, cracks and other damage can cause a catastrophic failure of the 4-5-6 clutch pump and intermediate shaft. These common 6L80E transmission problems are very serious and can obviously cause a number of serious drivability issues. This is why remanufacturing companies often upgrade these components.

Low sprag failure

When the vehicle starts off in first gear, it may feel as if the transmission has shifted into neutral because the low sprag is failing and the low/reverse clutch is the only thing holding the output carrier stationary during first gear.

Stator support shaft cracking and failed seals

One of the most common 6L80E transmission problems is the failure of the stator support seals, and cracking of the stator support shaft. These issues can cause problems like delayed shifts, harsh shifts and clutch failure. Remanufacturing companies like Street Smart Transmission inspect each stator support shaft for signs of damage, then install upgraded seals to solve the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz