Too Light Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also installed the KYB stabilizer and it definitely helped. I'm pretty happy with how mine feels now. I'm running 26's and rebuilt the entire front end and after that I felt like it could be a little better thus the stabilizer.

OP
OP
rv8pilot

rv8pilot

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the info on the KYB stabilizer, I just placed an order for one. I had thought of trying this but wasn't sure it would work. I'll post the results.

OP
OP
rv8pilot

rv8pilot

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing the KYB stabilizer this AM and I'm not convinced it did much. I noted the shock itself was not very stiff compared to others and after installation there seemed to be a slightly different feel but I really did not notice any great improvement on the highway at 70. There nay be some improvement but its slight. My rig is bone stock and there may be more of an effect if your suspension is modified. I'm still leaning to trying to get more caster at this point. Can anyone tell me the adjustment limits of the stock suspension? I am not keen on replacing the bushings at this point (too damn hot for one thing) but I may be calling on Mr. Moog eventually.

subieworx

Reaction score
Caster will definitely help. I have 5* FL and 5.8*FR and am very happy over the 3* I had at stock height. I doubt you will get much more than 3 or 4 at stock ride height. You could do some offset SPC control arm bushings though to get more caster.

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
isnt there a screw/bolt on the steering box where you can make very slight adjustments (tightening) and it fixes the slop?

OP
OP
rv8pilot

rv8pilot

Reaction score
Raar, In my humble opinion its not slop, in my case at least, or if it is I can't find it hear or feel it when moving the steering wheel or the steering components underneath. Everything seems solid in the linkage.

Tony, thanks for your input on caster, I realize I may have to go to offset control arm bushings to get enough caster. One suspension guru I read recommended as much as 6 or 7 deg. Since we have over-boosted power steering a lot of caster is not an issue as far as effort in concerned, and it just makes sense to me that more caster is what is needed here.

yamano

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread as I'm suffering from light steering and wandering as well in my 2004 'hoe. I have new GM upper/lower ISS and steering bearing ready to go in. When I got under the dash today, I noticed I apparently have the sensor as part of my assembly. I am not finding much information on what part # I need to buy other than the review on the dorman say stay away and go genuine for it. I decided to pull the connection and obviously have the "service stability" message but want to see if some of the highway wandering goes away. Regardless, while I've got everything apart it makes sense to replace it but I don't know what part I need.

The one you listed does indeed cross-reference on gmpartsdirect to 2002 year but I have an 04.

I'm also going to have to figure out how to remove my adjustable gas pedal but mine looks different than all the pictures/guides I've seen.

Here's a pic of the disconnected sensor still in the bearing:
2vvs3c3xcczxHqld6pr-6yHunACGKhcKY=w483-h643-no-tmp.jpg

Hey mattbta, even though this issue was awhile back, I noticed you were dealing with loose/wandering steering at higher speeds and were going to replace the steering position sensor when you did the steering bearing. Just wondering what your result was and if replacing the sensor made your steering firmer at higher speeds or whether it was an improvement since it controls amount of power steering to the vehicle based on speed. I’ve had some suspension work on my 04 Yukon XL but still suffer from really light steering and now considering the steering position sensor and bearing. Thanks!

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that the older tahoes and yukons have variable assist power steering. The steering wheel position sensor is only used to detect under/over steer and to engage the traction control system. So I don't think replacing the sensor will eliminate the wandering/lack of center road feel.

Part of the problem is the short wheelbase and tall profile combined with wide tires and a less than sophisticated design. I think that the quick turning radius probably causes problems too.

I wonder if installing a restricting orifice in the power steering circuit would improve handling.

I've often thought about whether a variable assist system from another vehicle could be retrofitted into the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf