Toggle Kill Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
From an earlier thread (IGNITION SYSTEM DESTROYED) many gave suggestions on theft deterrents. Happy to update that the ignition components in the steering column are now replaced and working like a top.

My next step is security. Firstly, a simple KILL SWITCH. I wanna install a toggle switch but not sure which is the best component to 'kill'. My first choice is the FUEL PUMP...the second choice is the STARTER.

I wanna keep the kill switch in the cab within the driver's reach and obviously hidden.

This needs to be as simple, clean and practical as possible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

----'95 Tahoe 2DR

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the fuel pump kill but being unfamiliar with the wiring in yours, I'd go with whichever was easier to access for the switch. In another car, I had a toggle switch above the gas pedal with a vacuum line going to it. The premise was, I could activate the kill switch with my foot if being car jacked which was a popular profession for thieves in the early 1990s in South Florida.

OP
OP
Ben Gatewood

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
I prefer the fuel pump kill but being unfamiliar with the wiring in yours, I'd go with whichever was easier to access for the switch. In another car, I had a toggle switch above the gas pedal with a vacuum line going to it. The premise was, I could activate the kill switch with my foot if being car jacked which was a popular profession for thieves in the early 1990s in South Florida.
The fuel pump relay is neatly placed in the fuse/relay box next to the brake fluid reservoir. I'd like to start from there but need to see if I can detach the box and look to see the fuel pump relay wires that are coming out from underneath. I know it's one of the two wires that show 12V when the key is set to start but show 0 voltage when off. I just want access to the wire connections.

Another idea is to maybe use the crank wire from the ignition switch (at the steering column).

The floor pedal idea is clever.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whichever method you choose, make sure the switch you get can handle the amperage of the wires you are going to tap in to. Not every toggle switch is created equal.

OP
OP
Ben Gatewood

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
I think I may wanna try using the wire responsible for cranking the starter. It’s in the ignition switch. But which color? I think it’s the yellow wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium