Tire pressure for bigger wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuyRon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Run what is printed on tire. "PXXX" is a passenger vehicle designed tire. What is listed is the everyday specification. In my K2500 with LT 275/16; " maximum inflation 55psi at 2700 lbs per tire" . I normally run 35 in all tires. If I'm going to run a heavy load, fill to higher psi. The higher pressure allows the tire to have correct "footprint" the part in contact with road surface. And maintain correct sidewall profile. Hitting a pothole or rough surface with underinflated tire could result in rim bead cuttibg into tire casing or striking road surface. I tried to explain to my pilot uncle that running 50 psi all the time in his surburban had no advantage, to make the ride so flipping harsh, being a rattletrap. Oh well....

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, all about load ranges.

Not sure if it’s ok to post a link like this, but this website is awesome.
https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/

Saves you looking up specs on load charts.

I used the 18” passenger tire size at 35 psi from my door placard. Went to 285 55 20 BFG ko2 LT’s and it shows 46 psi equivalent. Contacted BFG, they suggested 48 psi.

Also know p tires in 285 45 22 from gm are also recommended at 35 psi. This works out to 43 psi using the calculator for my LT’s.

Chalk test for best wear, but I’d suggest above if you’re looking to handle same as original weight.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First post, been reading these forums for a few months now. Have a 17’ suburban with a 4” ready lift, just installed 20x9 +01 offset Ultra Nemesis wheels with LT285/60r20 Continental TerrainContact A/T tires with max tire press of 80 psi. (Slight rubbing, will do NorCal mod later). Stock tire pressure is 35 Psi. I emailed Continental with the new wheels specs and they said 41 psi. The new tires are basically 33.5”x11.50”. The shop that mounted the tires said they runs LT tires around 50-55 psi. Just looking to see what some of you guys run your tires at. Thanks, it’s great to read all the informative posts in these forum's

Continental gave good advice, you want enough air to exceed the axle weight ratings.

My truck came with P-metrics set at 30 psi. Run LT tires at 46 psi (42 psi exceeds axle weight ratings), LT tires use more air to support the weight than P-Metrics. My tires leak like crazy at 50 psi and above, not necessary anyway.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always go by the TRA load vs inflation tables. Can use the GAWR or the stock size/pressure to convert to required pressure for different sizes. An LT285/60/20 at 41 PSI has a minimum load rating of 2,220 lb, which would allow for 4,440 lb on each axle.

I’m not so sure about that. When specing fire apparatus, we have always had to take the weakest point to calculate GVWR. This means you have to look at the axle and suspension ratings as well as tire and brake ratings.

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not so sure about that. When specing fire apparatus, we have always had to take the weakest point to calculate GVWR. This means you have to look at the axle and suspension ratings as well as tire and brake ratings.

Yes, and that's accomplished by matching the load capacity of the stock tires which take all that into account. If the tires aren't stock or you don't want to convert it, go by GAWR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019