Tips and Tricks on getting manifold bolts off of Y-Pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, looking for any tips, tricks and suggestions on getting Manifold Bolts off of Y-Pipe :)
Bolts on mine decided to become one with nuts

I tried a little penetrating oil and only have medium impact ( ~500lb breakaway torq ), no luck, doesn't budge.

Right now looking around to see if any specialized shops have a rental high-torque impacts and see if i can break this ***** loose.
Was also going to try longer wrench, hammer and doing it by hand, but i'm worried about making the nut round.
The space is so tight i'm not sure i could get an angle cutter there to get it out as well.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might see if you can get some heat on it.

Also, I’ve had some luck with rusted bolts alternating between trying to loosen it and trying to tighten it in short bursts while putting some penetrating oil on it in between. My preference is aero Kroil.

If you put a nut busting high torque impact on it and just go to town, you’ll likely end up with a rounded nut, not desirable, or a broken bolt.

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might see if you can get some heat on it.

Also, I’ve had some luck with rusted bolts alternating between trying to loosen it and trying to tighten it in short bursts while putting some penetrating oil on it in between. My preference is aero Kroil.

If you put a nut busting high torque impact on it and just go to town, you’ll likely end up with a rounded nut, not desirable, or a broken bolt.

Thanks, will try to play around with propane torch and see if i can fit in there without melting o2 sensor wires ( and if do, i'll just replace it )

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My suggestion is to use an oxy-acetylene torch to heat the nut. If you can clean the threads of the stud first it will help. Be careful! You might snap that stud with too much torque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts