timing issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolfhunter92

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Tahoe w a 5.7L I put in a reman engine and now I have a 1345 cam crk correlation code I have timed it with a scan tool and adjusted the distributor until I'm goin flippin crazy. the cmp retard will go to advance 18 deg after idling to over 1000 rpm and I have adjusted forward and backward one tooth and it never will set at 0. any help would be amazing and sorry if this has been posted before

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a ballpark, on my 98 one of the ears on the distributor that the cap screws into is nearly hitting the intake on the driver side. It is at nearly zero degrees at 1100-rpm. To set the CMP offset, loosen the distributor hold down bolt on the intake and turn the distributor (by holding it at the cap, usually) until the scanner reads the offset at zero degrees between 1,000-1,200 rpm. The driver side cap screw/ear will be nearly touching the intake.

You don't have to restab it to set the retard...wasn't sure if that's what you meant by moving up and down one tooth.

In case you are starting over, here are the installation procedures for the distributor:

e61a92c99f64814c4b05d772d0af0673.gif

2c6c02db2b589bf7c7b293e15791dd4e.jpg

3d4474192a63ba78af43b792d8274f1d.gif

585eb03883889d177bf877e2db485e1a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
wolfhunter92

wolfhunter92

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks I'm going to go recheck everything and make sure it all lined up right n see where its setting with the cap tab.

Todd R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Once you set it there is no turning on the vortec. It has to be set properly then set within -2 -+2 with proper tuner. Same with after market cam. I hope this helps. Took me a whole day to figure it out but it's simple once it's dropped in properly at tdc on cylinder one.

juniorwatson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if there has to be anything done when setting the camshaft to 4' advanced on the timning chain set?

I just finished rebuildng my engine, and plan on adjusting the valves this weekend on the engine while she's running, like I have done with Gen-1 engines in the past.

The reason I ask is because I have very little get up and go on the bottom end. I was always told that setting the cam 4' advanced would give more low end torque.

Thxnks!

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that you cant use a timing light on these because they are constantly self correcting via computer. Keep in mind I have no idea what i'm talking about

juniorwatson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I read somewhere that you cant use a timing light on these because they are constantly self correcting via computer. Keep in mind I have no idea what i'm talking about

I didn't adjust the timing by using a timing light, as there's no mark on the timing chain cover.

For clarity, I had the timing adjusted/set by my buddy's shop, since I couldn't get the cam retard set thru the Torque app on my cell phone. I wasn't aware 'till reading this thread that as outlined in item #3 above that marks had to be aligned.

So for clarity, I'm refering to CAM RETARD TIMING. Does that need to be set to something other than 0, because of the 4' advance set on the timing chain?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz