short bursts of what feels like going over light rumble strips, and 3-4 "bumps" after shifting into Drive, going from 0 to 5mph.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came across this forum, and found excellent information, but wanted to post my details, wondering if anyone has a different opinion on my particulars. 2015 Tahoe, 142K.

I'm getting short bursts of what feels like going over light rumble strips, mostly between 60-70mph, at low RPMs, goes away with acceleration. Also, after shifting to Drive, especially if coming from Reverse, once I start moving forward, between 0 and 5mph, I get these 3-4 bumps, feels like missing a gear, or shift, and then it clears up, and it's fine. It's not every time, it's like 50/50 if this happens. Additionally, weird shifting in general, seems rougher, and mistimed, if it was a manual, it's like I'm accelerating while stepping on the clutch, RPM goes up, no power, quick, half a second later it shifts.

All sounds like transmission right? I would assume so, especially knowing the history of transmission issues on these guys, except it all started a day or two after my battery died and had to be replaced! Could be a timing thing that somehow got messed up because of the dead battery?

Anything can happen, 142K, and at two years ago at 100K I was told there was some metal in the transmission fluid and the dealer said a new transmission would be needed sooner rather than later, but 42K later and we're still here. Oddly timed, but maybe just a coincidence.

Checked brakes recently, and was also told that there a small leak in the differential, and tech cleaned and said said we change the seal on the next oil change, unsure if that could have gotten worse in 1000 miles.

If transmission, do you think a flush could breathe a more life into it, or likely too far gone?

Suggestions?
This sounds like gear train damage, either in the front or rear...Basically, as gear teeth start stripping, a few the pieces get wedged in between the ring gear, planetary carrier pinion gears and/or sun gear, preventing a mesh so will 'lock up' the transmission for a split second or two then will clear...They will also clear if you shift from reverse to forward and vise versa. The front planet is particularly crucial to movement as it's splined into the 3-5-R drum which is mated to all of the hubs directly or indirectly and those hubs are the link between the front and rear of the trans. Hard to say which gear group is going bad (or perhaps both are) but if you had to have one to bad, it's preferable that it would be the front gear train as it's a lot less costly to replace than the rear Ravigneaux style planetary carrier and compound ring gear set as those can be upwards of $600 to replace w/good used or over a grand for one with a billet drive plate.

My video, 6L Diagnosis and Troubleshooting goes into the above in detail and touches on symptoms of a failing gear train; if you're curious you can check it out.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds like gear train damage, either in the front or rear...Basically, as gear teeth start stripping, a few the pieces get wedged in between the ring gear, planetary carrier pinion gears and/or sun gear, preventing a mesh so will 'lock up' the transmission for a split second or two then will clear...They will also clear if you shift from reverse to forward and vise versa. The front planet is particularly crucial to movement as it's splined into the 3-5-R drum which is mated to all of the hubs directly or indirectly and those hubs are the link between the front and rear of the trans. Hard to say which gear group is going bad (or perhaps both are) but if you had to have one to bad, it's preferable that it would be the front gear train as it's a lot less costly to replace than the rear Ravigneaux style planetary carrier and compound ring gear set as those can be upwards of $600 to replace w/good used or over a grand for one with a billet drive plate.

My video, 6L Diagnosis and Troubleshooting goes into the above in detail and touches on symptoms of a failing gear train; if you're curious you can check it out.
We gotta make a petition to send nick out our rebuilds. He's like the tahoe transmission guru

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar