TICKING FIXED !!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KEVIN GARRETT

Reaction score
i was finally able to remedy the infamous GM lifter tick. i had the oil pump replaced with the melling high pressure high flow pump and new pickup tube and oring. i did use the stock pressure spring with the pump as it is not a race application. once installed my pressure went from 18-20 at idle to 40-42 and also increased with driving. the lifter ticking is now gone and it sounds like a new truck. the repair was expensive but to me it was worth it to have that horrible sound fixed and the proper pressure in the motor now.

alacran

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, how much in parts?

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was finally able to remedy the infamous GM lifter tick. i had the oil pump replaced with the melling high pressure high flow pump and new pickup tube and oring. i did use the stock pressure spring with the pump as it is not a race application. once installed my pressure went from 18-20 at idle to 40-42 and also increased with driving. the lifter ticking is now gone and it sounds like a new truck. the repair was expensive but to me it was worth it to have that horrible sound fixed and the proper pressure in the motor now.

What year is your truck, which motor does it have, and how many miles are on it?

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score

More of a "band-aid" than a "fix". Yes your ticking will quiet down on the top end with the added oil flow but that will not change the excessive bearing clearances you have in the bottom end causing the low oil pressure with the stock pump. That wear is still there and is still a major problem. With that much clearnce around the crank/rod bearings, it's only a matter of time before you get a bottom end knock and low oil pressures again. Sorry to say that, but it's what it really is.

OP
OP
K

KEVIN GARRETT

Reaction score
More of a "band-aid" than a "fix". Yes your ticking will quiet down on the top end with the added oil flow but that will not change the excessive bearing clearances you have in the bottom end causing the low oil pressure with the stock pump. That wear is still there and is still a major problem. With that much clearnce around the crank/rod bearings, it's only a matter of time before you get a bottom end knock and low oil pressures again. Sorry to say that, but it's what it really is.

no there is no bottom end knock. if you research the problem it is the oring on the OE pump there have been bulletins on this problem since i worked at GM. if they had the problems you speak of then why would we all own one knowing that they bearings are no good? and yes the problem is fixed this was not a band aid.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score

no there is no bottom end knock. if you research the problem it is the oring on the OE pump there have been bulletins on this problem since i worked at GM. if they had the problems you speak of then why would we all own one knowing that they bearings are no good? and yes the problem is fixed this was not a band aid.

Then what are you asking us for?

Besides, adding a higher pressure oil pump WILL MASK low oil pressure issues and I don't care how long you worked at GM. Maybe get one of your colleagues to put out a TSB regarding the issue since you've found the remedy, finally.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6

Latest posts