Engine ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if anyone who reads this has seen my other post, but I got the front end suspension changed and aligned, but now I have a ticking from the engine. I know the only way to know for sure is to tear her apart, I'm hoping it's the rocker arms or a lifter, it won't let me upload a video, maybe it's too long. But she is a 06 Yukon XL with 226k, Im planning on replacing the lifters, rocker arms and push rods anyway, but is there anything else that could be replaced or is going to need to replaced soon? All of the pulleys except the harmonic balancer (that project is coming soon, along with front main seal) the water pump and front end suspension have all been replaced

What relevance does the suspension and alignment have to this? Did the ticking start immediately after this work was done? Before you load the parts cannon and dive deep, rule out (don't just "look at") the simple things: Exhaust manifold bolts (which you mentioned), exhaust flange bolts (manifold-to-Y-pipe joint) and ignition wires and spark plugs for tightness. I agree with the mechanic's stethoscope. For this and many other noises, it could be the best $8 you'd ever spend.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
What relevance does the suspension and alignment have to this? Did the ticking start immediately after this work was done? Before you load the parts cannon and dive deep, rule out (don't just "look at") the simple things: Exhaust manifold bolts (which you mentioned), exhaust flange bolts (manifold-to-Y-pipe joint) and ignition wires and spark plugs for tightness. I agree with the mechanic's stethoscope. For this and many other noises, it could be the best $8 you'd ever spend.
I mentioned the suspension and alignment just cause Ive made posts in the past about my suspension and so I figured I'd update anyone who might've seen it, but as far the ticking, I noticed it maybe a week or two ago and it's gotten louder, I agree it could be the best $8 I ever spent

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mentioned the suspension and alignment just cause Ive made posts in the past about my suspension and so I figured I'd update anyone who might've seen it, but as far the ticking, I noticed it maybe a week or two ago and it's gotten louder, I agree it could be the best $8 I ever spent

I gotcha. Had to ask to see if they were related, like an alignment tech may have inadvertently knocked a spark wire loose, etc. You know- the classic story of a wrench slipping and whacking the cylinder #3 spark plug, cracking it but not enough that it causes any issues right away.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Ya I understand that, I just hope it's not on the bottom end of the engine, if that's the case I'm gunna have to get a new motor or something

dougo

Reaction score
Mine sounded the same it was a bad oil pump o ring , drove me crazy for months as it was intermittent, The oil pressure was steady 40psi always a mobil 1 5 k oil changes new o ring no more noise in the past i had a loose spark plug that cause a tick

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Mine sounded the same it was a bad oil pump o ring , drove me crazy for months as it was intermittent, The oil pressure was steady 40psi always a mobil 1 5 k oil changes new o ring no more noise in the past i had a loose spark plug that cause a tick
Yea, you were hearing the noise of compression "spitting" past the plug threads. The last time I saw and fixed this problem was when the "boyfriend" did a "tune up" to his girlfriend's car and was not running right and had misfire codes and noises. The couple was standing right there when I found the problem. I did not put blame on the boyfriend but did pull him aside when I had the chance and let him know. He paid for my work and tipped me. I still see the girl once a week when I eat tacos with my AL friends and she told me the boyfriend fessed up the next day.

Just like the first time you do an oil change and forget to check for the old oil filter seal stuck to the block and oil spews everywhere when start the engine, he will never ever forget to tighten spark plugs correctly.

GM SUVer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 2002 Suburban that had a ticking noise. Was solved by replacing spark plugs and wires.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
So I did end up getting a stethoscope and noticed a ticking when I listen to the exhaust manifold, there's also I ticking, almost rapid, when I let off the gas. I haven't found that one with the stethoscope. I can try and get a video up of it later today when I'm off work, but does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So I did end up getting a stethoscope and noticed a ticking when I listen to the exhaust manifold, there's also I ticking, almost rapid, when I let off the gas. I haven't found that one with the stethoscope. I can try and get a video up of it later today when I'm off work, but does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
I want to hear the video, first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia