Throttle Body Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to replace the TB on 07 Tahoe as I am getting P0121 codes and I have cleaned it several times over the past 150k.

Does anyone have experience with the non-OE brands or is it better to go OE.

Also, what is the best way to retrain the computer after replacement? A friend told me he just drove it around town and on the freeway for an hour and it re-trained?

Thanks,
Tim

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Nate,

Thank you very much for this info. I don't have a scan tool that will clear the codes. Should I try to take it to one of the parts retailers who do that and ask them to cleat the codes before I replace it?

Thanks much!
Tim

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
really shouldn't have to do anything, I changed mine to a LS7 throttle body, plug-n-play

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Hey Nate,

Thank you very much for this info. I don't have a scan tool that will clear the codes. Should I try to take it to one of the parts retailers who do that and ask them to cleat the codes before I replace it?

Thanks much!
Tim

You could do that and just hope it doesn't come back before or during the relearn. Also, I should point out that what you said initially is actually a viable option. Driving long enough (time varies ALOT) it will relearn, but with the procedure, you're "telling" it to. Sometimes even after the procedure, you'll need to drive it more (see the fine print in the documents).

The thing is, you may need to clear the code during the process. If the code is present, it won't learn. You could:

1. Get them to let you use the scanner for a little bit and do the relearn in their parking lot.

2. Get yourself a cheap scanner just to read /clear codes. Tons of options on that front. You can get a Bluetooth one on Amazon for around $20 and use your phone or Walmart harbor freight, etc. in the same price range. (I would get the phone one). This would also let you watch your throttle position along other handy info down the line.

3. Clear the code and just go for it. If it comes back, you'll just need to go clear it again to continue the learning.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
really shouldn't have to do anything, I changed mine to a LS7 throttle body, plug-n-play

This is true. People seem to make a bigger deal of this than it really is. Most of the time, you can put it in and go. The key is knowing that it may take a bit to sort itself out AND that if the code comes back you gotta get rid of it for it to keep learning.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could do that and just hope it doesn't come back before or during the relearn. Also, I should point out that what you said initially is actually a viable option. Driving long enough (time varies ALOT) it will relearn, but with the procedure, you're "telling" it to. Sometimes even after the procedure, you'll need to drive it more (see the fine print in the documents).

The thing is, you may need to clear the code during the process. If the code is present, it won't learn. You could:

1. Get them to let you use the scanner for a little bit and do the relearn in their parking lot.

2. Get yourself a cheap scanner just to read /clear codes. Tons of options on that front. You can get a Bluetooth one on Amazon for around $20 and use your phone or Walmart harbor freight, etc. in the same price range. (I would get the phone one). This would also let you watch your throttle position along other handy info down the line.

3. Clear the code and just go for it. If it comes back, you'll just need to go clear it again to continue the learning.

It currently has codes present as the engine light is on.

Gents - any thoughts on what replacement to use, OE, Hitachi other after market options?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
It currently has codes present as the engine light is on.

Gents - any thoughts on what replacement to use, OE, Hitachi other after market options?

I'd go OE and maybe even upgrade to an LS3 or something similar.

You will need to clear the code(s) one way or another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz