Throttle Body Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Gents,

I tried the 3 minute on , 60 seconds off relearn process unhooking the battery for 15 minutes first. Results:

1st attempt after dis-engaging battery
It ran up to 1,000 at the start and idled down over about 1 minute to around 600. I let it run 3 minutes and shut it down for 60 seconds

2nd Attempt
It immediately ran up to 1,200 and started climbing higher to where I shut it down at around 1,800 which took about 45-50 seconds. It was still climbing so I shut it down.

Repeated the unhooking of the battery and tried it again. Almost the same exact results except on the second attempt the engine ran up to 2,000 very quickly. I shut it down.

I think I am back to driving it to try and get it to relearn if it's still erratic after tomorrow I think I'll take it in and have it reset. I have to drive 350 miles RT on Thursday to a business meeting.

Nate, Wes and Tony - thanks much guys for your help on this. I'll keep you posted.

As an aside - the truck is running much better when it isn't a screaming meme at idle.....

Thanks,
Tim

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update -

After 2 days of driving it is relearning and the variability of idle is improving. Still a a little slow to come down at a stop and when its put in park but I think it will settle down based on what I am experiencing.

However, I do have another question regarding the pedal position sensor. I had a friend of mine tell me that he had the same experience when changing out the TB and the idle got much better after time but there was still some variability in RPM's while driving. He replaced the gas pedal sensor and it straighten out and ran like a champ. He didn't test anything, he changed it because a friend told him a same experience?

The pedal does have 266K on it and I wonder if its a bit worn as well?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks - Tim

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update - went ahead and replaced the pedal position sensor. Overall the erratic idle has settled down. However, it still has issues when you shutdown and restart right away. It will jump up to 1,500 and stay there, when you put it in drive it drops right down.
Interestingly, if you shutdown and let it sit 30+ minutes it jumps to about 800-1,000 on start but then idles down to 600 pretty quickly.

I have driven about 350-400 miles and it seems like the re-learning may be over.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like you might need to have it done with a tech2 or snapon etc, a independent shop might do it for less than what the dealer would charge. I would call around you might get lucky with a shop that's not trying to rob you.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the other hand it kind of makes me wonder if your having issue's with the maf also, I guess the only way to really tell is with a scanner, have you made sure there is no intake air leaks? is everything snug and tight?