Throttle Body Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello-
I have been trying to chase down some vibrations I have been having in my 2006 Tahoe. First I thought it was the AC since it would mostly happen when I turned on the air but slowly I started to feel it when the AC was off. I cleaned the MAF and air filter and there was no change. Last night I used some MAF cleaner and did my best to clean the throttle body while it was attached and un plugged the battery to do the idle re learn. So far there is a definite change in the way the vibrations feel, before when I revved the motor in park from 600-1000 rpm there was a weird wobble in the vibration, now it seems smoother. There still seems to be some vibration that I can't get rid of, not normal operating vibrations but random surges in the sound and vibration of the motor. Should I just replace the throttle body unit? Does it include the TPS and IAC in one unit?

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Also since I cleaned it last night when it is in drive and you take your foot off the brake it will creep forward up to 1100 RPMS with out hitting the gas, which it never did before.

STL_Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was just looking at the TPS the other day and its riveted onto the throttle body. I would imagine replacement throttle bodies come with the TPS attached... this would then include the IAC

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously... Remove the TB and clean it properly, with good cleaner such as berrymans B-12 carb and choke cleaner.. aresol can..
Use a rag and spray the cleaner on it and wipe out as much of your intake as you can get to.
its a 20 min job.

STL_Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seriously... Remove the TB and clean it properly, with good cleaner such as berrymans B-12 carb and choke cleaner.. aresol can..
Use a rag and spray the cleaner on it and wipe out as much of your intake as you can get to.
its a 20 min job.

Cleaning the TB can do wonders!

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

its a 20 min job.

Cleaning the TB can do wonders!

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. Took off the TB and cleaned it up. Truck is definitely running smoother but I am still getting the random vibrations from it. It also idles higher than before, it drops back down to 600 when I warm it up regardless of whether it's cold or warm start. My idle still bounces a little during the vibrations, most notable when the AC is on or I turn the wheel when stopped. Any thing else to check on that?

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be getting some drag somewhere in the serpentine belt that is causing the engine idle to fall below ideal RPM. When your A/C is turned on, it creates drag by engaging the A/C pulley. When you turn the wheel when stopped, the PS pump works harder and creates drag.

Do you notice any abnormal noise coming from you PS pump or your A/C clutch when engaged?

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you moved the throttle plate it sometimes messes up the system, something with drive by wire or some sensor. I've heard eventually it will relearn base idle

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No codes at all. I did move the plate when I cleaned the TB. No noise when I move the steering wheel but I do get vibration when I turn on the AC and it also makes the RPM's move. I have never changed the pulleys , tensioners or belts on this vehicle. The AC pulley has some wiggle from side to side on it but not much. Are those suppose to have play on them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076