Thinking of getting a 2017-2022 Tahoe or Yukon. Should I be concerned about the possible suspension repair cost in the Premiere or the Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look up Certified Pre Owned GM warranty it has to be 75,000 miles or less, not sure if that applies to purchasing an extended warranty. You may want to check with the Dealer.

18tahoepremium

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tahoe:Yukon- 6 sped transmission. Anyone have thoughts on transmission issues? I was just watching a video and the mechanic likes the Tahoe/Yukon as his top choice he mentioned however he sees transmission issues in his shop, especially with the 6 speed.
Just rebuilt mine at 95k on my 18 Tahoe. Make sure you install the thermostat bypass as heat is your enemy.

18tahoepremium

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a 2017-2022 Tahoe or Yukon. Should I be concerned about the possible suspension repair cost in the Premiere or the Denali? I had a few Mercedes in the past and suspension repairs were crushing.
I have 95k miles on my 18 premier and had to replace the front shocks. Ended up going with Arnott. Price was $500 a piece.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t use a Range AFM since some members experienced issues.
What kind of issues would those be? More exception than the rule, maybe?

Granted, I've spent more time in the pickup forums in the last couple of years and haven't been following here too closely. Don't think I've seen anybody having any issues with thier pickups, so that's why I'm curious. I know a lot of people who have used Range for a very long time without any issues.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just rebuilt mine at 95k on my 18 Tahoe. Make sure you install the thermostat bypass as heat is your enemy.

Man… The 6l90e? And so many bad opinions on the 8 speeds? My 8 speed has 148K on and still going.

OP not too sure what kinda answers you’re looking for here? All the solutions to your problems can be addressed with regular maintenance.

I wouldn’t call replacing shocks/struts a “repair” that’s a maintenance wear and tear item; Like tires and brakes.

You can usually expect wear and tear items to cost less on domestic brand vehicles compared to import…

Just like you can usually expect wear and tear items to cost more on a $70K vehicle than compared to a $20K vehicle.

OP
OP
S

schmidt1x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
10 speed is the best transmission to get. I have not seen on this forum or Cadillac forum any complaints about the 10 speed. The suspension to replace on the front is less than $1200 and the rear is the same. Usually around 60-100k they fail. If you get the GMPP then it will cover it. I recommend getting GMPP to protect up to 110k from GM.
Thanks-

I have been looking at the Escalades and Deneli 6.2 liter with upgraded transmission and cooler etc.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks-

I have been looking at the Escalades and Deneli 6.2 liter with upgraded transmission and cooler etc.
if potential maintenance cost's are a issue just buy a warranty, then you know exactly where you stand. I have a extended warranty on my 18 I paid $2300 for I might never end up using it, who know's I still have 2-3 more years and around 30,000 miles remaining on it. it's a premium warranty that covers everything except wear items.
if you go that route be sure you FULLY READ and understand what any potential warranty covers EXACTLY. most people do not bother and then get all butt hurt later when they go to use the warranty and sadly discover it does not cover X or Y item. Many things you would ASSUME are covered are not. then you need to know what the co-pay is as there is almost always a co-pay and then you need to understand that most warranty's will cover "rebuilt" replacements and not NEW replacements. It also worth noting that you can also decide to PAY the difference for NEW parts in place of accepting a rebuilt part. Additionally most warranty's also only pay out a max pre-determined labor rate which most shops are willing to agree to but it's worth noting because you could end up being responsible for the additional labor cost's but that kind of thing is usually up-front when having work done.
AND it is also normal for this kind of warranty work to take EXTRA time to get done because the warranty/insurer will want to send a claims agent out to verify the claim is legit and inspect the damages and that can time to arrange.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Once you get into the 6.2L and 10SP, you’ve got a motor that never lifts a finger putting power through a trans that optimizes economy with the side effect of both lessening wear which grants a very long life.

GM finally has this combo throughout their entire line up of full size SUV. I’ve always gone with the biggest motor available knowing resale is most favorable to them.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing you can do if you get the 5.3 is the trans cooler bypass. The temp differences are 50 degrees roughly right out of the gate. Towing heavy loads its a crucial thing to maintain life. Some folks have ok luck with the 8 speed but I would avoid it if you can. The 10 speed like others said is hands down the better alternative for the 6.2... I have owned 6 or so of the 6 speed vehicles, not a single issue ever most of them were ran into the mid 100k area.

Suspension, yes the mag ride in the earlier years does not ride near as well as the refined later ones. If you want a nice ride quality, I recommend 20" wheels or smaller, non mag ride. If you want sportier feel, then mag ride rises to that occasion for sure. The AFM in any of these motors is a matter of when not a matter of IF... There are people getting 200k out of their lifters and others not getting hardly 10k. Turning off the AFM is key for longevity for sure.

All in all, across the platform each one is different and has their own feel, My 15 Burb is actually quite sporty in the corners after being lowered.

So drive it, get a good feel of what it feels like, then try to drive a few more in that same model year with different options to get a feel of what you want in one of these. The 6.2 with the 10 speed is quite a piece to drive where the motor and power band is always on demand in the few I drove. The 6 speed trans vs the 8 or 10 is the cheapest to rebuild in a longevity standpoint.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2017-2020 Magride is better with the steel control arms instead of the aluminum also the software was updated. My 2018 Escalade rides great with 22” rims with new OEM BWI OEM magride front struts replaced at 67k at the dealer & Michelin Defenders. The factory front struts and the new BWI’s do look different so I don’t know if Cadillac improved the parts. I also got a 2 year unlimited mile warranty on parts and labor and lifetime on parts from the dealer. Truck rides beautiful on the rough roads in Houston. I have yet to change the rears yet because they are still fine. I would get the 10 speed which the 2018-2020 has as well as the current gen. I did have lifter failure at 79k. You are suppose to use Dexo 1 approved oil which I don’t know if the original owner used because I bought my truck at 48k. The VLOM which controls the lifters was updated so that might be the cause why my lifters failed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011