Thinking of Buying a 07-14 NNBS Tahoe/Suburban? Look Here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hargate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New here! And new to full size SUV or Truck.

Hello everyone.

I've been looking for months. We are on a budget. Trading Merc ml350 which has been great. Phenomenal car. Wife wants third row and we are set on GM at the moment.

Found a '12 SLT 4x that seems to fit the need. I am looking for any advice before going to look early next week.

One owner, black on black with 37k for $34k. Biggest worry going in is the history. It's clean but shows that's it's first life was in MI, so I'm a bit concerned with hard winters and salted roads.

Thanks in advance to all for reading.

abright52

2011 Yukon Denali
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much with only 37k on it.

My '07 has over 100k of year round travel in Northern IL. Just recently started seeing a little rust on the bottom of one of the rear doors.

I would just take a close look at the undercarriage. As long as it was washed regularly, you probably won't have any issues.

Hargate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you. It's going to get a good look underneath for sure.

If anyone has additional advice for looking over this beast I'm all ears.

Thanks again

conchasjim

Reaction score
Also include the power folding mirror failures. The flappy crapy GM syndrome . Lol

Last edited:

Yugo

Reaction score
Can someone shed some light on approx. mileage for replacement of following parts:

- Transmission
- Exhaust Manifold and Catalytic Converters
- Differential and Transfercase

This might be helpful to be added to the sticky for potential new owners.

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone shed some light on approx. mileage for replacement of following parts:

- Transmission
- Exhaust Manifold and Catalytic Converters
- Differential and Transfercase

This might be helpful to be added to the sticky for potential new owners.
To the best of my knowledge, there is no common breaking point for these parts based on mileage. It's all about prior usage and preventative maintenance (or lack thereof). I would use extra scrutiny on vehicles that are above 100k miles or look/feel abused and neglected.

Just be aware of warning signs for each part, and if you aren't comfortable doing so yourself, bring a friend who is or pay a mechanic.

Warning signs of failure (that I'm aware of) are as follows:

Transmission - Slipping, hard shifting, shift hesitation/holding a gear longer than it should.
Exhaust Manifold - Audible exhaust leak at manifold
Catalytic converters - Exhaust smells bad and/or check engine light
Differential/Transfercase - Whining/grinding, driveshaft slop/excessive movement

Razor1981

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow, I feel good about mine now.

Also include the power folding mirror failures. The flappy crapy GM syndrome . Lol

Have that wonderful issue, stealership cut the rear A/C, while bragging how cold it is.... As of today a bad gas smell. Which I'll look at once I'm home, given I don't blow up on the way home... That said I feel lucky, probably also cursed myself.
I wouldn't hesitate on buying one. I work on everything myself. My 6th sense will kick in before I can even figure out what is wrong and I just have to wait for it to get worse. Find someone like me and go shopping. Buying anything can go good or bad. If it has a well documented service history, huge bonus.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is not as informative as I had hoped it would be. Anyone have anything else to add? I am looking @ a 2008 Denali xl with the 6.2L. I am comfortable with the 5.3 and the 6.0l how is the reliability of the 6.2?

Amanda4461

Reaction score
2010 LTZ experience:
-Cracked Dash twice in the same place, to the left of the Passenger Airbag running from top to bottom. Black on Black. Last one cost $300 because my neighbor the shop foreman had mercy on me. I bought a COVERCRAFT UVS100 Windshield Sun Shade about 2 years ago, and the most current dash is perfect, but I use the windshield cover every day. It also keeps the interior much cooler.
-Replaced Air Compressor on suspension at 100,000 miles with an Arnott unit. Easy fix and reliable once again. Compressor is in a crappy location and catches a lot of trash.
-Both front door handles broken at 111,000 miles.
-If you leave the sunroof open and it happens to rain, even though it has been slid all the way back, the sunroof's sliding cover will become badly stained and slightly orange colored. Stanley Steamer fixed it in 5 minutes when they came by to do some carpet.:shrug:
-Headlight housings fog up and look like hazy old glasses way too early. On the plus side, cheap DEPO headlights can replace them and the truck looks new again, and the lights actually work again. Be sure and seal the housing joint with silicone sealant before you install them, and let them cure overnight, or water will ruin them.
-Center dash speaker on the BOSE radio comes loose and rattles constantly in the dash. Pop the cover off and use larger diameter sheet metal screws to hold it in place, then no more problems.
-The two small synthetic rubber covers at each end of the front windshield wipers crack and break early on in hot climates. They snap in and out easy, and in Texas the dealer even stocks them for some reason or other...
-Remind folks to fill new oil filters with oil prior to installation, and you may save early wear and tear on your engine. Oops, everybody does that already, right? SURE THEY DO.
-When you change the Iridium Spark Plugs at 100,00 miles, go ahead and pay the $65 to RockAuto and buy new OEM Plug Wires, because by the time you wrestle the old wires off that appear to be welded on, the old wires are not worth a damn. IF you read the Spark Plug box, it DOES say to GAP the plugs.
I will curse myself and admit to not having any work performed on 5.3 litre engine, 6-speed transmission, or any electronic or mechanical part other than those listed above in over 111,000 miles from new. I am a little on the conservative side, and do proactive tranny flushes every 30k and do the same to the radiator, transfer case and differentials. I will cut a rotor one time, then the next brake job I replace the rotors. Oil and filter changes happen every 5,000 miles with Mobil-1 5w30 since I help make the stuff. This Tahoe matches my past Bmw's and Honda's for being pretty bulletproof. Wish I could have said the same for my last Z28 and my little S-10 truck and S-10 Blazer. The few Pics that I have are attached. Thanks for the sticky. 2010 Tahoe Front Door Handle.JPG 2010 DEPO HEADLIGHTS.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts