There are just some days I wish I didn't turn wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Holiday/Remembrance this 3 day weekend. Think of those that have fought for you and this country and those that did not make it home. Remember, there is nothing wrong with tears....

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second OR VietVet, just watched the series from several years ago, Band of Brothers, what a get your attention riveting war movie from world war ll. I had a lot of friends that I worked with at the Sheriffs Office in Orlando and I had all the respect in the world for those guys, what they went through over there and when they got home, not a great time for this country.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I liked "The Pacific" better than "Band of Brothers", but I was in the US Navy and did 4 West Pac's.

Chevymec

Reaction score
This was the biggest job I ever dug in to. 1999 Cadi Northstar. Misfire on startup and loosing coolant internally. Had to replace all headbolt threads with time serts as they pulled out of the aluminum block. Pretty time consuming job and I undercut myself a lot as they told me what the dealership was gonna charge after they had my price!northstar.jpg

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This was the biggest job I ever dug in to. 1999 Cadi Northstar. Misfire on startup and loosing coolant internally. Had to replace all headbolt threads with time serts as they pulled out of the aluminum block. Pretty time consuming job and I undercut myself a lot as they told me what the dealership was gonna charge after they had my price!View attachment 429273
With my labor rate at $80-$100 an hour, I don't quote any book times or try to compete against other shop quotes. I do the work for EXTRA money and because I like doing it. When it becomes a "business" it is no fun any more. My biggest job, since I retired, was my neighbor's 2006 F150 engine and transmission swap and was done at my friend's shop where there is a lift. I also promised my landlord that I will not tow vehicles in for work or have vehicles here more than 2 days. I turn down some jobs, because I can.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. I am back to work on a part time basis. In a shop with a lift. My friend's shop that he is 1/2 owner of. Show up kind of at 9 am and leave whenever and take breaks as needed. I keep my tools at home and just use his tools.

Yesterday started on a 1990 W250 4x4 Ram flat bed. 6" lift all around and install adaptors front and rear for the rear dually set up. Found a right rear drum metal to metal, so doing wheel cylinders, hardware kit with adjusters, 12x3 shoes. Have to swap stock wheel studs for kit studs to allow for adaptor plates to bolt on and do the same for front. New Rancho shocks all around too. According to instructions, that I have not read for myself yet, the steering linkage is changed up front and the gear box is relocated on the frame to the 2 wheel drive position instead of the current 4x4 position. I asked about the steering shaft and got the "deer in the headlights" look from the two shop owners. Oh well. Who cares. I am being paid for me being there, no matter what.

Got an appointment at VA tomorrow morning for Pain Meds talk and breakdown of a recent MRI and what it means. I have some very intermittent pain in my right groin and right hip, if I stay on my feet too long on a hard surface. Once I sit for 5 minutes, I am good to go for who knows how long. Old age is not for sissies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As I recently posted, I had an appointment at my VA for a recent MRI I had and for pain medication review. Pain meds are gonna stay the same. The MRI showed an "inguinal hernia and inflammation problems from that causing gluteus medias tendinopathy". Yea, lots of big words. My problems were this. If I was on my feet long enough on a hard surface, concrete, my right groin would literally get a heating up feeling and if bad enough would wrap around my right hip and start throbbing in my right ass cheek. If I sat down for about 5 minutes, then I am good to go again for who knows how long, till the problem repeats itself. If I worked hard enough thru the day, at night, I could be sitting watching tv and get up for any reason and I would get a very intense sharp pain in my right groin and would have to apply pressure for 30 seconds to a minute and then I could go ahead and walk and do what I was doing. If I did not work thru the day, that pain does not happen. VA is referring me to another provider and am to get ready for an operation for at least a non invasive procedure for the hernia. Fantastic news, since I just started at the shop but they said that when I am FIXED, come back asap.

I am not completely out of the GAME, so to speak. I just have to be easy about what jobs I take on at home and slow my pace if needed. Can't work at the shop because I can't be much help if limited like that and of course the liability aspect, too. Getting old is not for sissies, for sure.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had the same hernia, fixed by surgery about 6 years ago; it's very common, so I'm told. I had different symptoms, though, just an occasional internal "cool" feeling on my right side groin. Your surgeon may want to check the other side "while I'm in there" to see if there is one starting there, too. I had both sides done (bilateral), same operation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dimi3