There are just some days I wish I didn't turn wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I spent 5 solid hours on that Camry yesterday and alternator came this morning and had another 1.5 hours this morning and included alternator and tensioner install. Did the oil and filter change. Filled coolant and topped it off and made sure thermostat was working. Monitored alternator output and is now about 14.2 when idling and closer to 14.4 with headlights on, turn signals and a/c on. Electric fans working as well. With my trip to parts store yesterday for a 21mm lug nut to replace the 19mm lug nut on rf wheel, and cost of lug nut, he is bringing me $550 cash in about 10 minutes. There is no more tensioner chatter, both ended up being bad. The alternator belt tensioner was chattering when spin with hand and I showed him that this morning and the alternator whine noise is gone. Engine idles nice and quiet and has great power and is smooth. I also cleaned the negative cable clamp that the dealer did not do when they replaced the positive cable clamp for the outrageous clamp price of $48.66.

So $550 for 7 hours of my time, makes it easy for me to keep turning wrenches while I can and want to.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
$550 with you buying the parts or is that not including parts... oil, filter, coolant, alternator, tensioner, lug nut, etc
$550 is my labor. The only part included in that price is the $2.69 lug nut. He paid for all the parts at RA cost plus my 5% discount. I don't make money on parts.

Reaction score
Whenever something's needing to be done to one of our vehicles I always get an estimate from the shop down the road beforehand. Then my wife asks me how much it would cost me in parts to do it and how big of a job is it.

Usually about half the cost, but then my wife asks me if the extra cost is worth a day and a half of my cursing, running to parts stores multiple times, and how sore I'd be afterwards, if it'd just be better to pay the extra money and have the shop do it, lol.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'd rather pay the extra $200-300 and not have to worry about anything. Just drop it off and pick it up later and get other things done while it's there.

Then again, this is for our own vehicles and I'm not making any money by doing it, only saving ourselves money, lol

$550 is a good full days profit

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
you could end up needing one of those special belt tensioner tools from the sounds of it, getting the belt off may not be a issue, that comes when trying to put it back on. I fought my sisters chrylser trying to get a belt back on and not having to drive for an hour to get the tool, pfft ended up getting the tool not sure how much time I spent trying to get the belt on but it was a while....
I looked and found a kit by Lisle that is thin enough and has lots of low profile attachments that looks like it would do most anything. I saw one that was made especially for a Mini Cooper. I can promise you, I will not need one for a Mini Cooper.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So, got a fellow member of the American Legion coming tomorrow with his newly acquired 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser, to look for an oil leak. He was told the timing cover is leaking and that is supposed to be a very big job and is also a known source of oil leaks. His name is Ron Lake and if any of you are in to knives, he is very well known in that community. He custom makes them and has many patents out there. He gave me a sweet spring loaded blade that is great for carrying in my pocket.

Also have another member dropping off his 97 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 that has a slow cranking problem. The way he describes it, sounds like either a failing starter with too much draw or a voltage drop problem to the starter. After that one he also has an 85 Ford F150, carb model, that has a rough idle on cold start till warms up and then idles smooth and drives nice. Been a long time since I looked at a carb and choke assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne