The financial benefits of maintaining our own cars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do everything myself unless I absolutely cannot and that is only stuff that requires a special computer to diagnose. On my 2010 Tahoe I have changed the torque convert and rebuilt the tranny, replace the water pump and radiator too. Shocks needed be changed one time and the front brakes I finally replaced at about 250k miles. I have saved myself probably over $5,000 in labor on the Tahoe. I actually have never paid anyone to do anything, including oil changes (I have never paid for an oil change ever), on my 2010 tahoe and 1970 Vette. My 1970 vette I did everything myself including painting, replacing the convertible top, redoing the seats and interior, engine, tranny etc. recently replaced the clutch in it after 20 years of it being in the car.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do most of my own repairs but I know some people that look at this completely different. Best example is a Lawyer friend, this dude is in the 800 per hr range for his work and it would be financial suicide to do things like auto repairs or yard maintenance. I guess it all boils down to what YOUR time is worth...... mine is not worth much I guess since I have spent days messing with simple stuff like replacing a bad ABS unit and getting brake fluid everywhere my driveway still has stains DAMMIT I should have gone to college!!!!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess it all boils down to what YOUR time is worth...... mine is not worth much I guess since I have spent days messing with simple stuff like replacing a bad ABS unit and getting brake fluid everywhere my driveway still has stains DAMMIT I should have gone to college!!!!

Should try something like Bio-Dry: https://bio-dry.com/

juicedgsr95

Reaction score
Ive done everything on my truck, all brakes/rotors, suspension, fuel pump, belts, engine mounts, oil changes, and probably a million other things. I am getting quotes now to have the noisy AC compressor replaced. I dont have the tools to capture and recharge the system.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ive done everything on my truck, all brakes/rotors, suspension, fuel pump, belts, engine mounts, oil changes, and probably a million other things. I am getting quotes now to have the noisy AC compressor replaced. I dont have the tools to capture and recharge the system.
I ran shops and I have had people come in and ask that we recover their refrigerant. We would measure the amount recovered. The people would go do their work and either add oil themselves or come back and we would add oil, evacuate and recharge. We assumed no liability and gave no warranty. We still charged for the refrigerant that was charged back in to their system and for our time and for the equipment usage.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this case, it makes sense to have someone else do the work - at least the R-134a recovery, as there are legal and environmental implications for releasing it to the atmosphere.

I bought a set of gauges, a vacuum pump, and a postal scale to recharge my system myself because in my case, the problem was a faulty Schrader valve that caused the refrigerant to leak out on its own, so I was already starting from zero. And, since I'm still young-ish (51), I figured the equipment would come in handy at some point again. And it has for others' cars. Twice.

Airman68

Reaction score
Do everything I am capable of doing on my own and a good friend of mine has a lift which is really handy. I figure I'm money ahead buying tools to do the work myself.

GO0BER

Reaction score
As a young guy (36).. who is in a unique position (my wife and I have a house on the same property as my parents) which helps alleviate some of the dumb money decisions we made early on.. we are fortunate that we always have at least 1 spare vehicle during long repairs. This alone helps. I was able to spend 6 weeks messing with the wife's Yukon between the cooling system and pulling the head to get a broken bolt out. I don't even know how many hours I spent letting it heat up and then cool down to work on it.. but I bet I would have had at least a few hundred dollars in labor saved. And now I know more about my vehicle which is nice for when we are on long road trips and may have issues 100s of miles away from help.

Also.. buying tools for specific jobs . I used to think 'is x dollars worth it? Meh probably not I'll only need it this once or maybe a 2 time'.. then I bought the wrench for pulling mechanical fans off.. I feel like I'm cheating at that game now. What used to be 5 or more minutes of getting an old belt and vice grips lined up and on.. I can now get them off in about 30 seconds with far less effort and no chance of hurting myself or the part.. I now buy the correct tool for certain jobs lol