The engine on the Yukon I got as a replacement for the Yukon that got two engine replacements needs replaced. Yes, you read that correctly.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djsassan

Reaction score
Yes, I wrote that title like that on purpose. At this point, I can only laugh at the situation.

Backstory (super abbreviated):
2021 Yukon XL Denali bought at 36k miles. Engine blew at 40k-ish and was replaced under warranty, then th new engine failed at 142 miles and replaced, then a third engine issue. GM bought back the vehicle in exchange for a new one. Read about it here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...hicle-repurchased-new-vehicle-in-shop.142537/

2023 Yukon XL Denali, had 20 miles on it. Safety warning system light on, waited 6 weeks for the part to be available. Now, with 11,552 miles the lifters have failed and the engine needs replaced under warranty. No ETA on the repair. Read about this latest episode here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...e-that-had-2-engines-die.148401/#post-1877523

Both with the 6.2 engine

So now the lawyers have dusted off the file and are shooting something over to GM.

Did a lot of research again, the Yukon still seems to come out as the top Large SUV. I have thought about switching over to the Jeep Grand Wagoneer L, but need to do more research. I have driven those twice as rental cars while on trips and they are NIIIIIIICCCEEE.

One thing that is sticking with me, GM gave me a 7yr/100k mile factory bumper-to-bumper coverage on the current 2024 that I own. That is really hard to let go of, no 3rd party, no disputes, just go straight to GM. Are the 2024s better than the 2021-2023s with the lifter issues?

My thought and logic says to ask GM to take this car back and give me a 2024 instead with the same extended coverage. I think I would be happy with that because that tells me GM truly does care after all the crap I have been through with two of their vehicles. I also say to myself, what are the odds of a THIRD vehicle having a major issue, and this is ABSOLUTELY possible but not highly likely I would hope.

More to come.

I'm going to start logging here.
5/16 - heard lifter noise
5/17 - Took vehicle to GM Dealer. No loaners available, deal was able to rent me a Toyota Corolla for the moment.
5/23 - Dealer was able to arrange a mid-sized SUV (Chevy Blazer) through rental car company because I have multiple road trips to leave the state coming up.
5/24 - While driving the rental car from Hertz, got the "Change Engine Oil" alert. Called Hertz and informed them, they asked me to go get the oil change and be reimbursed. I said I would drive home the next day and wait for their location to open Monday and see what they want to do. The rental is not in my name, it is in the dealer's name and I am driving as a proxy. This is messy.

XXXX -

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving a 6.2 rental Surburban last week with about 5700 miles on it. The oil monitor was below 25%. I'm sure it had never been changed since being delivered from the factory. Sad. it was a very nice vehicle and deserved to be taken care of.

As far as your story goes, I'd only accept a Dmax as a replacement. You have enough adequate proof that the 6.2 isn't dependable. Sure, warranties are nice, but I'd rather not have the issue of dependability hanging over my head at all moments.... You've already proved that case.

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems the rampant lifter failure was isolated mostly to 21-23 MY, at least based on the forum posts here. But whoa, what are the odds of 3 brand new engine failures in a row! This cant be other than just pure bad luck or these vehicles would all be sitting on the side of the road. I second to give the duramax a try if you want to stick with GM, seems like very little issues with them overall. The inconvenience of being stuck along the side of the road, dealing with dealerships, etc. would negate any positives of any extended warranty to me.

Out of full size SUV category, there’s nothing of the size, room and features that anyone other than GM offers. If you don’t need as much space take a look at an X7. Our other vehicle is an X7 M50i and is amazing. Another level of luxury and performance altogether if you don’t need the space / towing. Good luck!

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inside of the 21-23 model year, seems like the odds are actually pretty damn high.
Even a 1% failure rate would be a Boeing level embarrassment.
On 2nd thought, should be pleasantly surprised no one's been sumercidered* yet.

*say it slowly

OP
OP
D

djsassan

Reaction score
It seems the rampant lifter failure was isolated mostly to 21-23 MY, at least based on the forum posts here. But whoa, what are the odds of 3 brand new engine failures in a row! This cant be other than just pure bad luck or these vehicles would all be sitting on the side of the road. I second to give the duramax a try if you want to stick with GM, seems like very little issues with them overall. The inconvenience of being stuck along the side of the road, dealing with dealerships, etc. would negate any positives of any extended warranty to me.

Out of full size SUV category, there’s nothing of the size, room and features that anyone other than GM offers. If you don’t need as much space take a look at an X7. Our other vehicle is an X7 M50i and is amazing. Another level of luxury and performance altogether if you don’t need the space / towing. Good luck!
3 young but growing kids.....I need the space. Otherwise, I would have gone Japanese and closed my eyes.

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 young but growing kids.....I need the space. Otherwise, I would have gone Japanese and closed my eyes.

I feel you, 4 small children here. I’m sure you considered but you can always add a roof box for additional storage. Every time we take our X7 for longer trips I’m amazed how much we are able to squeeze in… the new Sequoia seems pretty sweet if you’re into Japanese.. or GX/LX Lexus…

BacDoc

Reaction score
I’m a GM guy and have had great experiences with my trucks and vans but….Face it!
Sometimes the universe just doesn’t want certain combinations to exist and you and GMC might be one of those. Unfortunately besides Grand Wagoneer there isn’t anything out there for the size, towing and luxury features. The German cars are nice but way more car than truck and even the biggest baddest German SUV would barely be able to haul my gear and medium size boat.

Sorry to hear about this but maybe you will get compensation, you definitely deserve it!

rswaug

Reaction score
know it's not offered in the higher trims, but just go with the 5.3
Unfortunately, the 5.3 uses dynamic fuel management as well but doesn't require premium fuel. My suggestion would be only run premium unleaded and change the oil based on the odometer and forget the oil life monitor even exists. My wife's 23 Denali with a 6.2 has been perfect but we only run premium and change the oil at 3,000 to 3,500 mile intervals. I hate to say it because I feel like I'm going to regret it later but I've been saying it for a couple years and a couple 6.2s now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msp2640