2023 XL Denali ticking noise (this is the replacement truck for the one that had 2 engines die)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djsassan

Reaction score
Please tell me this is not the infamous ticking issue......

Just randomly started today. I remote started it and it didnt sound right, but I thought it was the car next to me. Other car drove off, open hood and voila. Tick tick tick tick tick.

OP
OP
D

djsassan

Reaction score
Good freaking grief.

11,500 miles on the car. One year anniversary of getting it as a replacement for the 21 Yukon that GM bought back after two engine replacements and a third issue in 8 months. *sigh*

Dealer has it, they need to tear it apart and see what's up. A tech jumped in it real quick, heard it and said "Oh that doesnt sound good." Not good when a tech says that.

I'm torn. I really want to initiate another discussion with GM, give this car back and go buy something else. This is 5 times in 18 months on two different Yukons. My contemplations:

1) I now have a 7yr/100k bumper-to-bumper GM warranty. That is REALLY hard to beat.

2) What other large SUV is out there. I need a Large one, not midsize. Suburban/Escalade/Yukon are all the same, so what is left: Navigator (a Ford? Oh goodness), a Landcruiser with zero bells and whistles made of plastic, or a Wagoneer. I have heard horror stories of Wagoneers, but to be fair I have had several Wagoneer rentals and all have been super nice.

Arggggghhhhh, here I am rocking a Corolla, and our Memorial Day roadtrip just got put on major hold if this what we think it is.

I am pissed.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good grief, I don’t think I would settle for anything less than a new one if that’s what you decide and an extended warranty for all your aggravation and wasted time , really hard to make you whole again after all this B.S.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could lobby for a full size SUV rental for your memorial day trip...that seems to be the least they could do. Sounds like at least your dealer is going to bat for you? If so, use their goodwill. I am guessing they don't like the fact you are suffering any more than you do.

OP
OP
D

djsassan

Reaction score
My dealer has been awesome and worked with me on every single thing. I appreciate their efforts.

I'm waiting for an official diagnosis before deciding what I do next. I just want a vehicle that works.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just amazes me that this superb engine design got corrupted with this absurd AFM system design.

Hrocks

Reaction score
Good freaking grief.

11,500 miles on the car. One year anniversary of getting it as a replacement for the 21 Yukon that GM bought back after two engine replacements and a third issue in 8 months. *sigh*

Dealer has it, they need to tear it apart and see what's up. A tech jumped in it real quick, heard it and said "Oh that doesnt sound good." Not good when a tech says that.

I'm torn. I really want to initiate another discussion with GM, give this car back and go buy something else. This is 5 times in 18 months on two different Yukons. My contemplations:

1) I now have a 7yr/100k bumper-to-bumper GM warranty. That is REALLY hard to beat.

2) What other large SUV is out there. I need a Large one, not midsize. Suburban/Escalade/Yukon are all the same, so what is left: Navigator (a Ford? Oh goodness), a Landcruiser with zero bells and whistles made of plastic, or a Wagoneer. I have heard horror stories of Wagoneers, but to be fair I have had several Wagoneer rentals and all have been super nice.

Arggggghhhhh, here I am rocking a Corolla, and our Memorial Day roadtrip just got put on major hold if this what we think it is.

I am pissed.
These horror stories on $100k GM trucks are nauseating. Was a LONG time GM guy. Get a Lexus LX or Toyota Sequoia, change the oil, rotate the tires and do the longer term maintenance stuff, and you you can drive them until you find something new and shiny 10 years from now.

Antonm

Reaction score
Wow, just wow.

I personally think it's the thin *** oil they're recommending (0W20) now, in conjunction with the cylinder confusion DFM/AFM system. The only reason they recommend 0W20 is for CAFE/ government mandated fuel economy reasons. The corvette (which is a slightly different 6.2 but it's more similar than it is different, especially in the rotating assembly) , recommends an 0W40, mobil 1 even makes a special dexos approved 0W40 just for it.

The previous LS engines (which again, are very similar in the rotating engine assembly part, they're just port injection vice DI) had no issues until AFM arrived and even after AFM the issues took a lot longer to surface, those engines ran a 5W30 for the most part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jezze77

Latest posts