Tell me all your lies, rumors, and facts about 'Ceramic Paint'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the lateness of my response. Was catering an event. Yes the Carnatic coatings can be quite the fantastic products when done properly. I’ve seen many companies out there so I’m not sure which is the best. Most that I’ve seen are supposed to be good for a year. However I’ve seen coatings that guarantee up to 5 years worth of protection! I haven’t gotten into doing coatings, but that’s because I know a lot of the brands to even be able to use their stuff require a detailer to take their time allotted course to be certified as an installer and it’s very expensive. It’s a good idea though. Chemical guys makes a coating called carbon C9 that I’m interested in that has that same affect! @homesick , if you decide to let the guy do it be sure to give us feedback and post pics! We love pics, escpiecially of a good clean truck!! :D

Man, thanks, and I promise pictures and details if I go ahead.

I stopped by yesterday, to ask the owner more about it (he's the one who first mentioned it, and I prefer talking to the boss when possible.) He wasn't there but the shop manager talked to me some. Unfortunately, he's not very involved in this particular aspect of the business, but here's what he said (all true to the best of his knowledge).

They keep your vehicle 3 days. They use heat lamps during the process. He thinks about an ounce of product covers a car. There are different price points, depending on how long a guarantee you want. I think he said prices start at $600, but I'm not sure I got that right because a guy on a motorcycle forum also said he was quoted $600 for his bike.

joe

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got my Escalade coated in Ceramic Pro Sport it’s guaranteed for 6 months but can last up to a year if properly maintained, there’s others that last longer, makes washing it a breeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you do it or pay someone?

If you paid, and it's not too nosey, how much was it? And what part of the country are you in?

Thanks,
joe

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, thanks, and I promise pictures and details if I go ahead.

I stopped by yesterday, to ask the owner more about it (he's the one who first mentioned it, and I prefer talking to the boss when possible.) He wasn't there but the shop manager talked to me some. Unfortunately, he's not very involved in this particular aspect of the business, but here's what he said (all true to the best of his knowledge).

They keep your vehicle 3 days. They use heat lamps during the process. He thinks about an ounce of product covers a car. There are different price points, depending on how long a guarantee you want. I think he said prices start at $600, but I'm not sure I got that right because a guy on a motorcycle forum also said he was quoted $600 for his bike.

joe
The process sounds about right. They basically low heat bake it onto your paint after it’s been coated and polished. $600 seems about right but I could be wrong on that.

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The process sounds about right. They basically low heat bake it onto your paint after it’s been coated and polished. $600 seems about right but I could be wrong on that.

It may take a while but, unless I hear something unexpected and bad, I'll probably do it.

The guy has to be legit, Right? He has a red '68 Nova and his wife has a white '70 SS Malibu.

joe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do it or pay someone?

If you paid, and it's not too nosey, how much was it? And what part of the country are you in?

Thanks,
joe

I had a local detailer do it, they did the ceramic coating along with a multi-step paint correction it ran $600 and I’m in Connecticut

ac08254adef9ac6a7b34595dc82ec3f8.jpg

ab7ed91e5a953403d9f49694657c2cd9.jpg

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a local detailer do it, they did the ceramic coating along with a multi-step paint correction it ran $600 and I’m in Connecticut

ac08254adef9ac6a7b34595dc82ec3f8.jpg

ab7ed91e5a953403d9f49694657c2cd9.jpg

Cool. Thanks. I was afraid it was going to cost 4 figures. I think the paint correction is a standard part of it all.

joe

Last edited:

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks. I was afraid it was going to cost 4 figures. I think the aint correction is a standard part of it all.

joe

You honestly could get it up close to four figures if you go with one of the longer lasting ceramic coatings, and the paint correction should definitely be part of getting it ceramic coated how many steps depends on what kinda shape the paint is in.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks. I was afraid it was going to cost 4 figures. I think the aint correction is a standard part of it all.

joe

if you dont polish the crap out of it to remove all the swirl marks and imperfections, light scratches and such, and then clay bar it, your just sealing in all the ugly.

ive done my share of polishing with a dual action orbital buffer. 600 bucks for the pro job and then the ceramic seems cheap really for the amount of work they are going to put into it. if you ever used a polisher of any type you know how that can wear on ya after a few hours. iirc i put in 4 hours into the tahoe right after i bought it. made a night and day difference.

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You honestly could get it up close to four figures if you go with one of the longer lasting ceramic coatings, and the paint correction should definitely be part of getting it ceramic coated how many steps depends on what kinda shape the paint is in.

LOL I don't necessarily mind paying that much, but I feel a lot better about it being an option rather than a requirement.

joe

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you dont polish the crap out of it to remove all the swirl marks and imperfections, light scratches and such, and then clay bar it, your just sealing in all the ugly.

ive done my share of polishing with a dual action orbital buffer. 600 bucks for the pro job and then the ceramic seems cheap really for the amount of work they are going to put into it. if you ever used a polisher of any type you know how that can wear on ya after a few hours. iirc i put in 4 hours into the tahoe right after i bought it. made a night and day difference.

I understand completely what you mean. Cleaning before sealing is pretty basic.

I kinda had the same reaction- 3 days work, with all that cleaning, does sound like more than $600. I kept hoping that shop mamager, yesterday, would mention the clay bar, but he didn't. He did stress the need for a good cleaning though, so I got the impression he just didn't know how the cleaning was done.

The paint looks real good right now and I want to keep it that way.

joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turbo6111

Latest posts