Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Not sure what test mine kept failing, but I know mine did that at first, but I think after I learned how crazy effing tight you have to get the cable attached on the Tech2 end, it stopped happening. Might be worth a shot. I would be in the middle of trying to look at something, and it would drop communication constantly. Now, I wrench those suckers, and don’t seem to have the issue anymore.
I'm having that same issue--dropping communication. I pushed it as tight as it would go, and there's none of that plastic flashing in the plug.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
RTC is Real Time Clock; apparently it doesn't affect the functionality of the Tech 2. But I am also reading that there is a battery in it, and I guess I need to check mine to see if it has one and where it is.

I pulled the front cover off of mine (6 T20 screws from the back) and do not see a battery, although my time is correct. Since it's not broke I'm not disassembling any further. The battery might be on the circuit board under the screen.

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what test mine kept failing, but I know mine did that at first, but I think after I learned how crazy effing tight you have to get the cable attached on the Tech2 end, it stopped happening. Might be worth a shot. I would be in the middle of trying to look at something, and it would drop communication constantly. Now, I wrench those suckers, and don’t seem to have the issue anymore.

I had to watch mine about 12-15 times before I could determine what was the failed test; the initialization results stay on the screen for only a fraction of a second.

Mine kept redoing the System Initialization, so I knew something was loose. I did like you and put a monkey grip on the screws where the cable plugs into the bottom of the Tech 2. I was a little concerned that I was going to strip one of them out. No more unexpected restarts since.

RTC is Real Time Clock; apparently it doesn't affect the functionality of the Tech 2. But I am also reading that there is a battery in it, and I guess I need to check mine to see if it has one and where it is.

Okay, that makes sense. I know that "fail" has no impact on the readiness of the scanner because I get the single beep at the end of the initialization process indicating everything is okay, and the scanner is ready to go.

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having that same issue--dropping communication. I pushed it as tight as it would go, and there's none of that plastic flashing in the plug.

You might try wiggling the plug a little as you seat it in the Tech 2, then twist the screws as tight as you can without twisting the plastic caps off. I've found that mine are surprisingly strong. (If you haven't already tried it.)

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have done it a long time ago; it had the correct time when I checked it tonight.

I checked mine when I was out there trying to find the wheel dimeter input. My clock if off a few hours, but remarkably has everything else correct.

Still couldn't find the wheel diameter input in the chassis/ABS Special Functions section, I think maybe my model year doesn't have it.

Maybe you just need to SET the clock?:crazy:

I tried to set the hours to the right local time but when I push the soft key to save, nothing happened. No big deal, I think I will call it good.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might try wiggling the plug a little as you seat it in the Tech 2, then twist the screws as tight as you can without twisting the plastic caps off. I've found that mine are surprisingly strong. (If you haven't already tried it.)
Yup. This.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019