Teak/light Shale interior - keeping clean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keg0brew

Reaction score
I have always owned light leather interiors, (tan or grey, Lexus, BMW, and Buicks) and never applied protectants, and I have never once had any issues with blue jean dye transfer or any other staining. I do vacuum and wipe down my interiors at least every other week.

I wonder if it is a specific brand or type of jean that does it? I am sure it's the dark colors that are the worst, and I assume cheap jeans do it more than the nicer ones. I wear mainly Lucky Brand jeans and have never had an issue with them.

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a 1997 Cadillac deVille with a similar color to the shale interior that had horrid dye transfer and could never keep it clean or restore it back it original color. We traded it for a 2003 deVille and still have that car, same color interior, no dye transfer at all and hardly ever cleaned it when we used it frequently. Might be luck of the draw when it comes to that model/model years leather and it’s dyeing.

I’ve only had to wipe down my Yukons interior twice in the past 5 weeks, once with just water and once I used some leather cleaner and cleaned right up.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an 03 Escalade with the teak colored interior but the seats were a different type of leather, even today the seats look new but the light colored carpet has some discoloring in certain spots.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do think it is the leather to some degree. The coarse grain stuff seems to get discolored more than the smooth or perforated...still is just coming off w/ a damp cloth, so far.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2022 Denali has the light interior. It is really nice looking. Here in Florida I have never owned a black interior car. The Dealer applied some sort of treatment to the interior which is supposed to make it more stain proof. We will see. Long ago we had kids spilling everything all over the car, I have spilled things myself, we just live with it. My bigger concern is the perforated leather. I imagine a bowl of oatmeal spilled on it and trying to get that mess out of all the little holes. Hey, like I said, that is just life and we just live with it.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine a bowl of oatmeal spilled on it and trying to get that mess out of all the little holes. Hey, like I said, that is just life and we just live with it.
A bowl of oatmeal in your $90,000 Denali?, a spilled bowl of oatmeal in your $90,000 Denali? :mad:

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a pretty picture is it? Things happen.

Funny story, one rainy day my neighbor's very big, very hairy dog, showed up at our house. We called him and he pulled up in a brand new Mercedes S600. He opened the back door and had his soaking wet, covered with sand, dirty dog jump in the back seat on the nice new black leather. Hey, my feeling is that cars and trucks are meant to used to live life. Sometimes it is not pretty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33