Taking my Stocker to New Heights, Could use some pointers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotdog.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I posted a thread a while back about how I wanted to lift up my 2003 Yukon Xl, and make the thing a little meaner.

Well, a year separated from that original idea, I have a much more reasonable game plan.

In an effort to keep my CV angles as friendly as possible, I'm going to run the largest stock tire I can (which appears to be a 285/70r17) on ProComp Steelies. They will be A/t's because I do a lot of highway traveling.

Plan:

Lift: If necessary, 1-2 inches of key and spacer lift. Would replace shocks on anything over 1 inch. are there any strategies for getting just a little bit more height without affecting suspension (z71 coils etc)?

Tires: 285/70/r16or17 I forget---> I want to be as froogle as possible, I want the best bang for your buck A/T tires that have a little bit of mean to 'em. Any Suggestions? Would really like to keep tire budget in the 650 range.

Wheels: Procomp Steelies, whichever my current rim size is.

Body: Plasti-dip dechrome, bumpers, and replace grill. Current color is tan, so I would have black wheels, black bumpers and skirts, Black grill.

The point of this will be pretty much 99% aesthetics. I want to make my grocery grabber a little more interesting. (on a budget). With that said, I dont want to make any changes that will greatly affect performance (negatively that is). So if any of my suggestions are going to blow up my Truck, please, let me know.

I would say a majority of my driving is done in a city/highway format, and I take 150 mile drives probably twice a month (recreation condo)

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E-bay keys, spacers for the rear. Rockauto.com for the Z71 springs, also check out their shocks. I got my KYB MonoMax from them for $10 less each than my buddy who is the manager at an autoparts store can get them for. Went with KYB's for a 2 1/2" - 5" lift in the front, and added 2" shock extenders in the rear (also from E-bay).

I'm running 285/75/16's with my keys at about 2 1/2", 2" spacers and Z71 springs in the rear. Sitting at 40 1/4" at the rear fenders, and about 39 3/4" in the front. Wheels have 1 1/4" less backspacing than stock, and I have 2 1/2" spacers in the rear. I could easily clear 305/70's on the wheels as they are now, or 295/75's. Have already done a little bit of trimming on the rear portion of the front wheelwell, looking to stuff some 315/75's in there when I need to put some new shoes on.

As far as tires.... the BEST bang for the buck I've found have been General Grabber AT2's. Have them on my '00 Wrangler, and LOVE them. reasonably quiet on the street (even for an AT), and they do sling some mud. Not anywhere near as much as a true MT, but they work very, very well. If you've got a Mavis Tire anywhere near you, they will match or beat ANYONE's price, even online.

Chizzychase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5 inch keys and if you can, avoid shock extenders. Yes they work but the sometimes have a tendency to break especially if your up north and have alot of rust. I just went to longer shocks in the front and in my opinion it rides way better.
I have a 2wd yukon and I just used a set of 2.5 in keys and longer shocks and I have a set of 20x10 xd diesel rims on it right now with a set of 275/65/20. Yes they rub but I have a set of 3 inch spindles sitting in my room for it just have to find the time to get them installed.
As far as tires go if you're going for an agressive look, the new BFG ATKO2's have an agressive sidewall on them but they ride like a dream and I had a set of 285 70 r17's on my truck an absolutely loved them I got through some pretty nasty stuff.
Another plus of those tires if you take care of them they can last you about 60k with regular rotations and such.
Oh yeah and DO NOT crank the torsion bars all the way down I learned that the hard way after about a grand in front end work done to it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChrisM2004