Tahoe/Yukon Headlight Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05Single - you're going to make me buy early to illustrate how today's LED bulbs "may" have just surpassed our HID's lol

Here's the scoop - running HID's as well for many years (~ since 2003) and am running 12 sets of Opt 7 HID's now in 2 trucks (great light output). LATELY, been researching LED bulbs for the wheeler and last month picked up a pair of HIKARI's with the CREE XHP50's. Didn't instantly expect these to outperform my HID's in the trucks.. but they did, and by a large margin.

Parked next to the truck with it's lights on the output was so much brighter I could turn the truck's headlights off and not notice any difference as the ATV's light output consumed every bit. That's impressive for the amount of experience I have will vehicle lighting. Had they been sized for low in the Tahoe i'd already have moved them and said screw the ATV.

What I've learned is that each CREE XHP50 is rated at 2546lm/per led (CREE's official claim). Each bulb has 2 of those LED's so multiply +2 bulbs and you can do the math. They're $70/pair free shipping on Amazon and that includes a 2 year warranty. Soon as I feel like it i'll be converting headlights over and will do a side x side test for y'all.

lincbelt5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Trying to get my forward projecting light performance up to *****!!

When the factory headlamps got so hazy I couldn't polish them out anymore - I bought some cheaper DNA headlight assemblies (Amazon) a few months back, and have not been happy with the build quality or performance. (They look great, however!)

Just ordered a set of Depos after reading most of this thread. :) i will probably opt for LEDs - and will post some pics when complete.

For now, I installed a 30" RIGID SAE/DOT single row lightbar in the front grille to provide some auxiliary lighting when needed...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
1392a7766c194d161344e4a449e2ae68.jpge5843e959f8c61d9a3068489c9b029b1.jpg5d4424ae0f591e29903eeab1a611ae1a.jpg3a63953418b3ad88f6f8277ba18db2df.jpg

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Trying to get my forward projecting light performance up to *****!!

When the factory headlamps got so hazy I couldn't polish them out anymore - I bought some cheaper DNA headlight assemblies (Amazon) a few months back, and have not been happy with the build quality or performance. (They look great, however!)

Just ordered a set of Depos after reading most of this thread. :) i will probably opt for LEDs - and will post some pics when complete.

For now, I installed a 30" RIGID SAE/DOT single row lightbar in the front grille to provide some auxiliary lighting when needed...

1392a7766c194d161344e4a449e2ae68.jpge5843e959f8c61d9a3068489c9b029b1.jpg5d4424ae0f591e29903eeab1a611ae1a.jpg3a63953418b3ad88f6f8277ba18db2df.jpg
Looks good. But now you have to add another up top or paint the upper billet insert black to match :hmm:

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
05Single - you're going to make me buy early to illustrate how today's LED bulbs "may" have just surpassed our HID's lol

Here's the scoop - running HID's as well for many years (~ since 2003) and am running 12 sets of Opt 7 HID's now in 2 trucks (great light output). LATELY, been researching LED bulbs for the wheeler and last month picked up a pair of HIKARI's with the CREE XHP50's. Didn't instantly expect these to outperform my HID's in the trucks.. but they did, and by a large margin.

Parked next to the truck with it's lights on the output was so much brighter I could turn the truck's headlights off and not notice any difference as the ATV's light output consumed every bit. That's impressive for the amount of experience I have will vehicle lighting. Had they been sized for low in the Tahoe i'd already have moved them and said screw the ATV.

What I've learned is that each CREE XHP50 is rated at 2546lm/per led (CREE's official claim). Each bulb has 2 of those LED's so multiply +2 bulbs and you can do the math. They're $70/pair free shipping on Amazon and that includes a 2 year warranty. Soon as I feel like it i'll be converting headlights over and will do a side x side test for y'all.
Got a side by side for us yet? Lol
I've compared leds with hids in both reflector housing and projector housings. Hids have a 360 degree output where leds have 180 which creates areas that are not illuminated and you'll have dark spots in the ground. It happens with all lights, some worse some not as bad. That's why I prefer hids because the whole road is covered from end to end. Leds are brighter that has been proven, but doesn't mean it gives a good output, also it creates way more glare to other drivers (which actually doesnt bother me personally)
Buuutt in the end it's still a better output than halogens which will allow you to see better and be seen by others, and definately a better looking and crisper color for a more modern look. Hid colors seem washed out compared to leds.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No and to make matters worse I put the halogens back in the wheeler because the LEDs got so full of sand and muck their cooling fans failed.

lincbelt5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks good. But now you have to add another up top or paint the upper billet insert black to match :hmm:

It's easy enough to unbolt it. But i had to get on the road!

Now you got me thinking.. i have a pair of 10" single rows that need a home.. :)

Last edited:

lincbelt5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No and to make matters worse I put the halogens back in the wheeler because the LEDs got so full of sand and muck their cooling fans failed.
Have you seen the new drop in LED bulbs that have "thin fins" instead of extruded bodies (or fans) to pull heat??? Interesting concept, could be a decent option depending on the LEDs they have....