Tahoe front wheel well SPATS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdTom

Reaction score
I recently ordered a 2024 Tahoe RST, production has been pushed back twice already. Scheduled now for first week in January. I’ve taken notice that some of the 2023 models come through with rubber front wheel well flaps that extend down (in front) of the tires. Can someone answer what that ridiculous looking item does? And more importantly can it be removed easily? Thanks

n4gkj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have no real idea what they are for.. assume they are for aerodynamics...
Yes they look stupid....
i took the whole panel off the bottom and used a box cutter to trim off the "flap".
i think there were 6 or 8 6mm body screws....
i put the panel back on...
i thought about leaving it off but i was afraid air would get behind and blow out the flimsy wheel well liner.

20231127 - 1.jpeg

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but sometimes things like this have to do with cooling airflow and air ducting. They have to have SOME purpose....

OP
OP
E

EdTom

Reaction score
I recently ordered a 2024 Tahoe RST, production has been pushed back twice already. Scheduled now for first week in January. I’ve taken notice that some of the 2023 models come through with rubber front wheel well flaps that extend down (in front) of the tires. Can someone answer what that ridiculous looking item does? And more importantly can it be removed easily? Thanks
Yes they look stupid....
i took the whole panel off the bottom and used a box cutter to trim off the "flap".
i thought about leaving it off but i was afraid air would get behind and blow out the flimsy wheel well liner.

View attachment 415143
Thank you for the information. I noticed there is an option for upper and lower Aero airflow which supposedly aids in cooling the engine and aerodynamics? Not sure if those flaps are part of that. A lot of new ones don’t have the flaps so it could be tied to that option but I’m guessing. At any rate, your high country looks great without them. I’ll be doing the same thing if mine arrives with them.

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rebate for aerodynamics and do not come with the Z71 package

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they look stupid....

View attachment 415143
What are you trying to show here? I see a bumper.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you trying to show here? I see a bumper.
He's showing what it looks like without the FWD "mudflap."

As @Stbentoak mentioned - they have a purpose. Either aerodynamics, engine cooling or both. There's a handful of features on the vehicle done in an effort to eek out every little bit of aerodynamics possible on a 3 ton rig... You can see in the same picture the opening in the grill at the outboard edge that channels air into the wheel well. Also at the back of the rear wheel well is stamped feature that tunes the air flow. They wouldn't add these features if they didn't have a true benefit.

OP
OP
E

EdTom

Reaction score
He's showing what it looks like without the FWD "mudflap."

As @Stbentoak mentioned - they have a purpose. Either aerodynamics, engine cooling or both. There's a handful of features on the vehicle done in an effort to eek out every little bit of aerodynamics possible on a 3 ton rig... You can see in the same picture the opening in the grill at the outboard edge that channels air into the wheel well. Also at the back of the rear wheel well is stamped feature that tunes the air flow. They wouldn't add these features if they didn't have a true benefit.
I’m sure there’s validity in everything you stated. I’m personally not sure the perceived benefit is worth making a classic great looking vehicle look ridiculous with that silly add-on design

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My initial hunch was some kind of spray deflector when hitting a deep puddle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman