Symptoms of Failing Oil Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrAguirrechu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having similar problems. Oil pressure was low and would bounce first thing in the morning. P0521 codes and CEL. Changed the sensor- after changing it only 3 years ago - and codes came back today. Has 205k on the engine. Thanks for the recommendation for checking the oil. I'll try that first.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris, what I meant by the 'sending unit' is the oil pressure sensor far back of the engine by the firewall. I can't recall exactly what brand it was but I don't believe it was AC Delco, I think it may have been Borg Warner. The oil level sensor (on the block by the starter) was AC Delco.

I took it for a drive last night, the pressure was lower than normal from the start but didn't start falling to really low levels (20psi) until I drove about 8-9 miles.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris, what I meant by the 'sending unit' is the oil pressure sensor far back of the engine by the firewall. I can't recall exactly what brand it was but I don't believe it was AC Delco, I think it may have been Borg Warner. The oil level sensor (on the block by the starter) was AC Delco.

I took it for a drive last night, the pressure was lower than normal from the start but didn't start falling to really low levels (20psi) until I drove about 8-9 miles.

I see where the confusion is now. I didn't know any GenIV had the level sensor. Borg Warner should be a pretty reliable brand.

The change in pressure readings is likely temperature-related, but likely not the oil thinning out when heated. The O-ring could soften under heat and allow air in. I'd still do a proper O-ring test.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update - I swapped the oil pressure sensor out. The warmed up oil pressure reflected now is about 30-32 at idle and about 42-44 at 65 mph 1800 rpm. It hasn't dropped below 28-30 since I changed it. I think it is resolved.
Thanks so much for following up, Tim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401