Swapping auto hvac for manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Making friends again? I’m still regretting posting compliments to your new puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IZZY_BRITTON

Reaction score
Alright alright, I am an ass. You caught me. Your original response is forever quoted above so even after your edit I got what your were laying down and don't completely disagree.

You have also proven that there is a manual auto hvac unit which I never realized was a thing in the 2003-06 trucks, my apologies. I have owned literally 30 of these trucks and suvs and have never seen one before. I have also been to the dealer and every junk yard within 50 miles regularly and again have never seen one. Judging by my past experience and research, I was wrong. Thank you for pointing that out.

You can choose to chime in to a follow up to this or not, that is your choice, but my questions will remain in hopes of finding an answer and maybe helping someone else out with a similar query.

Now, specifically back to your response vs my questions....

That hvac unit would probably help with my digital issues, I have never seen that unit before in the 03-06 anything. Manual auto seems kind of dumb but I don't care about auto, only manual. Your unit in the pics looks like the escalade units 99-02 (which I do have, 2 of them, but neither of mine say AUTO anywhere on it) but your shifter looks 2006. What year is your truck?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright alright, I am an ass. You caught me. Your original response is forever quoted above so even after your edit I got what your were laying down and don't completely disagree.

You have also proven that there is a manual auto hvac unit which I never realized was a thing in the 2003-06 trucks, my apologies. I have owned literally 30 of these trucks and suvs and have never seen one before. I have also been to the dealer and every junk yard within 50 miles regularly and again have never seen one. Judging by my past experience and research, I was wrong. Thank you for pointing that out.

You can choose to chime in to a follow up to this or not, that is your choice, but my questions will remain in hopes of finding an answer and maybe helping someone else out with a similar query.

Now, specifically back to your response vs my questions....

That hvac unit would probably help with my digital issues, I have never seen that unit before in the 03-06 anything. Manual auto seems kind of dumb but I don't care about auto, only manual. Your unit in the pics looks like the escalade units 99-02 (which I do have, 2 of them, but neither of mine say AUTO anywhere on it) but your shifter looks 2006. What year is your truck?
Yessir I reacted instead of being calm which I am known to do from time to time. Anyway back to the matter at hand- mines an 02. I love how they work. The controls are out of an 02 Escalade and the only thing that’s different that I can see from the originals are the dials, the Esky ones look nicer. I just leave the temp dial at 72 and fan control to auto. Then the only adjustments I make are changing the output control. AC turns on only if needed and the control isn’t set to a defrost mode, heater comes on only when needed, fan is automatic. I do not know it these will work for you but you can always try them. The 02 Denali ones are easier to find than the Esky. I think I paid $100 for all 3 Esky ones so you could probably buy the main unit for $50, then see if it plugs in. If it does you’ll need to do the recalibration process to see if it works. Good luck.

IZZY_BRITTON

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I honestly responded last night in haste because I was having a rough day. My responding like that extremely rare, again, I apologize. I was not trying to be an ass not was I trying to paint you as ignorant, it just came across as such because of my frustrations elsewhere. :sorry:

I will double checks the esky controller but I don't think it will work because the 03+ are dual zone and the 02 down I don't think have dual zone option. I would imagine there to be a few extra wires going to ship knows what GM hell. I know that the 99-02 vs the 03+ heater core and ducting are different, but again I don't care about the bells and whistles as it were, just that the AC and heater and defrost blow out the proper spots, hot when I met hot and cold/cool when I need cool. I will grab the 02 Esky unit and compare plugs this weekend. If the plugs are different a pinout comparison of the two different units might reveal some secrets. Maybe just bypass the dual zone all together? Hmmm...

I might need to make a bench testing station to figure out what exactly is required. I have enough dashes and dash harness bits that I might be able to figure something out.

Honestly I was hoping that someone would just say... Yeah, it's been done, swap these 2 wires and pull this fuse and that's it! But I knew better. Shame on me.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Im not sure about the dual zones. Mine also has an auto mode on the mode control but I don’t like giving all control over to the damn computer.

IZZY_BRITTON

Reaction score
And... Let me ask further...

I must have missed that part, it would be a major pain to add auto there is at least 6 temp sensors in the duct work, 2 environmental sensors depending on the wheel base, harness, controller, bcm programming. no fun

BCM programming? Something I have been needing for a few of my Eskys and one Tahoe for a while now but cannot find anybody willing or able to program BCM. You know anyone? Different issue altogether, not hvac related. Stabilitrac BS.

And to further explain: I do not know why I mentioned NNBS? I went back and re-read my post, i dunno where that even came from. I was frustrated and tired is my only excuse.

IZZY_BRITTON

Reaction score
Yeah Im not sure about the dual zones. Mine also has an auto mode on the mode control but I don’t like giving all control over to the damn computer.

Let me tell you a little about dual zone that some may disagree with me on.

Great concept from GM, poor follow through.

I only figured out that the heater core suitcase and ducting are different this past Monday... This is one of my messes that I will be doing a build thread on in the next week or so, it is s bit of a basket case.

20190916_140420.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And... Let me ask further...

BCM programming? Something I have been needing for a few of my Eskys and one Tahoe for a while now but cannot find anybody willing or able to program BCM. You know anyone? Different issue altogether, not hvac related. Stabilitrac BS.

And to further explain: I do not know why I mentioned NNBS? I went back and re-read my post, i dunno where that even came from. I was frustrated and tired is my only excuse.
the bcm is the brain, it is what sends power to all the different modules and self checks everything, if you are going to full manual it may not need programming if the power is there for the manual control to operate, Im just guessing.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If you want to keep making yourself look like an idiot then please do, keep posting to me and try to make me look bad if you get your rocks off like that. You’re on my ignore list so I only see your shit if I’m curious what stupid shit you say. Why don’t you just do the same to me? I have almost 15,000 likes so yes,I HAVE made friends here. You have no business even trying to talk to someone who is ignoring you.

Making friends again? I’m still regretting posting compliments to your new puppy. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket, damn dude! Why you putting this weird shit in writing? Thanks for acknowledging thread bs injected into the forum. The sword cuts both ways. No one expects there's special treatment for EVERY emotional rant someone broadcasts. Sometimes they're are entertaining. It's a forum, that means YOU command how others perceive your rants along with the knowledge you share. If someone reels you back in or pokes fun at a rant, don't be thin skinned.

What you say and what you do are not the same. Why are you sending me messages stating I have no business even trying to talk to someone who is ignoring you? If I'm one of the many that made it to what you've termed a block list, why the hell are you sending me creepy personal messages? Are they threats? Are the PM's somehow hidden from mods? Please, no more PM's to me about being curious on back PM channels ... K'mawn, telling others what our business is on a public forum attracts snarky comments.

As far as being able to find someone who pulled off a manual to digital or any other conversion to the NBS HVAC there's little out there on the interwebs. There's a cat who states he plugged a digi into his analog set up on a GMT 800 here ...

https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...on-130/dual-zone-climate-control-swap-353598/

A call to a breaker yard and a few minutes with a pro who's made a career out of GM trucks could prolly box up what you need and refer you to a site to swap it out. Not sure where that breaking yard is though.