SUV tent... who has one... Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that we have a bigger SUV we thought it might be fun to purchase an SUV style tent that attaches to the back. We had originally considered a rooftop unit, but I couldn't justify the price for everything needed to make one work for a family of 5 (3, 12, 14 and my wife and I). Something like the Napier Sportz 84000 seemed like a decent option.

Who on here owns an SUV tent... What brand? Pros/Cons?

Who has an air mattress that fits well in a 15+ Tahoe Yukon?

Plans are to buy the tent (not sure on brand, but bigger might be better since we have a family of 5.

2 of the Roadie Overnighter window tents

https://www.amazon.com/ROADIE-OVERNIGHTER-SUV-Window-Tent/dp/B06XX3H5XL

A sunroof screen.. similar to this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Sunroof-Breathable-Overnight-Protection/dp/B07SMYNHYX

and a fitted air mattress similar to an AirBedz. I won't need an air pump, as I have a battery powered Ryobi. I also have a couple of Ryobi fans and various other Ryobi items that should work well for a weekend trip.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated. We're not ready to buy a camper and like the idea of keeping it small so we can tie everything in the back and take off last minute.

Thanks!

Nick1a2216007b82079b5f3c55d770fcaa3e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guessing no one camps with one of these lol. We'll upgrade to an actual camper at some point. Just curious since an SUV tent seemed like a cool option for now.

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Tozan and a few others do a lot of overlanding and have some good set-ups for camping.
Thank you. We probably won't be doing anything to crazy, maybe some small camp grounds here and there. I just like the idea of being able to throw everything into the back and leaving with little notice. Keeps the kids on their toes lol.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
For your needs I would consider a large quick set up tent. This would give you more room for kids to spread out in. The inside of a Sub or Tahoe will get pretty cramped with more than two people. I would stay away from a tent attached to the SUV. Free standing tents will be easier to set up plus some campgrounds you may not be able to have the tent attached to the suv. It will also make it easier to set up camp and still drive away too.

Maybe something like a Gazelle T-4 Plus if you don't mind spending a little extra for a fast set up. These are a good high end tent with a really fast set up and a screened room for extra room.

Another option if you want to keep cost down and don't mind a little longer set up time something simple like a 8 Person Ozark tent from Walmart would work too.

Get out there and have fun with the kids..

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For your needs I would consider a large quick set up tent. This would give you more room for kids to spread out in. The inside of a Sub or Tahoe will get pretty cramped with more than two people. I would stay away from a tent attached to the SUV. Free standing tents will be easier to set up plus some campgrounds you may not be able to have the tent attached to the suv. It will also make it easier to set up camp and still drive away too.

Maybe something like a Gazelle T-4 Plus if you don't mind spending a little extra for a fast set up. These are a good high end tent with a really fast set up and a screened room for extra room.

Another option if you want to keep cost down and don't mind a little longer set up time something simple like a 8 Person Ozark tent from Walmart would work too.

Get out there and have fun with the kids..
I've never seen the Gazelle tents before. Very nice looking setup. I don't disagree with going with a traditional tent. I think the whole idea with going with an SUV one came from childhood memories on family camping trips. My uncle bought a new 2 door s10 blazer back in 1984 and purchased from the dealer an SUV tent for it. Apparently GM offered one for it back then. I just remember all of us wanting to sleep in that tent vs the camper. Ironically years later we met another family that camped near us at a state park that had a Pontiac Aztec with a similar GM SUV tent. We've looked at rooftop tents (unfortunately to small for a family of 5) and even considered a tent camper (prices have went nuts on used ones in SE Ohio). We looked at the Members Mark tent at Sam's Club, but I want something more durable without breaking the bank. I'll have to put some major thought into the Gazelle, I really like that design and layout.

Our goal is to pack all of our gear and possibly 4 kayaks (probably trailer them), assuming we find 4 locally. They seem to be a hot item this year. Thanks again!

Nick

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hadnt seen the SUV tent. did have one of their truck tents that popped up in truck bed.
it was great on multiple outings when it rained. we were only dry ones ... hehe

since got rid of truck, just used traditional tents next to my burb

Rock Surf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a rooftop tent for my Yukon.
The Tepui style fold out tents are like huge bricks on top and kill gas mileage.
That got me looking into pop up style fiberglass or aluminum tents with lower and more aerodynamic features.
I've got it narrowed down to these two here:
#1 Mass produced Chinese one that goes by a few different names. Looks like most of them put their name on it and add about another $1500. This is the cheapest one I've found, ships direct from manufacturer:
https://doublesteps.com/product/trustmade-hard-shell-rooftop-tent/

#2 I like this one a lot. The main thing is its only 7" tall when closed, and also mounts to the rails on the roof not the crossbars. This keeps it a few inches lower.
https://roofnest.com/product/falcon-xl/

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a rooftop tent for my Yukon.
The Tepui style fold out tents are like huge bricks on top and kill gas mileage.
That got me looking into pop up style fiberglass or aluminum tents with lower and more aerodynamic features.
I've got it narrowed down to these two here:
#1 Mass produced Chinese one that goes by a few different names. Looks like most of them put their name on it and add about another $1500. This is the cheapest one I've found, ships direct from manufacturer:
https://doublesteps.com/product/trustmade-hard-shell-rooftop-tent/

#2 I like this one a lot. The main thing is its only 7" tall when closed, and also mounts to the rails on the roof not the crossbars. This keeps it a few inches lower.
https://roofnest.com/product/falcon-xl/
Check out ikamper. I have a friend that has traveled all over the country with theirs. They had it mounted on a Subaru and now on a bed rack on an f150.

They have the skycamo 2.0 with the annex and awning. I think they also have a batwing too.

https://www.ikamper.com/

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to go with a roof top unit, but I have 3 kids... I know the skycamp 2.0 is for 4 people... but I'm sure it's still a tight fit.

I have another friend with a Smittybilt.... but it's just a big rooftop duffle bag that looks like it would catch a lot of wind. He has his on a jacked up 2dr jeep... so he gave up on aerodynamics and fuel mileage the day he bought that jeep.... doubt the tent hurts it to much more lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne