Suspension recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cinycreech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Purchased an 03 z71 an have been replacing some of the basics. When I was replacing the brake pads I took a peak at the shocks an wow do they need replaced!

My questions are..

1.) Can you get a 2” ish lift of just shocks and springs alone? Or do you have to buy torsion bar keys?

2.) Looks like a bunch of users rave about Bilstein 5100’s is that the way to go?

3.) Rough country level with struts a good option? Or still will Bilstein?

4.) Should i be concerned if I do level it with wear an tear on axles etc with this older high mile truck?

I would really like to buy some meaty tire / wheel combo, I’ll maybe put 12k on the truck a year.

Thanks for the info

richs1

Reaction score
1. You get zero lift from shocks, if you get taller springs you can get some lift. Amount of lift will depend on springs you buy. Z71 springs are already taller than regular tahoe. Just add spacers to rear.

2. Yes

3. Unfamiliar with rough country, but any lift less than 3 inches is going to consist of aftermarket keys to get more lift when you crank the torsion bars.

4. That will depend on how you use it. If you are a regular “off roader” and are planning on beating the hell out of it on trails, then yes. As a daily driver, mild off road, no. There will be increased wear, but not enough to worry about. Just make sure you have it alligned once you crank the bars.

I have an 04 Z71. I bought aftermarket keys from eBay, less than $30.00 and 1.5 inch spacers for rear springs, also eBay for less than $50.00. I am sitting at 39” at all four corners. I am running 33-11.50/20 ridge grapplers on OEM reproductions. Stock offset. Have minor rubbing in the rear on heavy articulation of the rear axle. I am extremely happy with the look and the ride for the amount of money I have in the lift. Also running bilstein shocks for 1-2 inches of lift. Good luck!

Purchased an 03 z71 an have been replacing some of the basics. When I was replacing the brake pads I took a peak at the shocks an wow do they need replaced!

My questions are..

1.) Can you get a 2” ish lift of just shocks and springs alone? Or do you have to buy torsion bar keys?

2.) Looks like a bunch of users rave about Bilstein 5100’s is that the way to go?

3.) Rough country level with struts a good option? Or still will Bilstein?

4.) Should i be concerned if I do level it with wear an tear on axles etc with this older high mile truck?

I would really like to buy some meaty tire / wheel combo, I’ll maybe put 12k on the truck a year.

Thanks for the info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC