Surge or pulse feel when stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, sometimes when I start to stop or slow down, there is a "surging" or "pulsing" feeling in my brakes. I first thought it may be a warped rotor or something dealing with that, but now I'm beginning to think its a ABS module. Anyone experience this? How can I check without taking it somewhere? And no, I have not inspected the pads or rotors yet.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The NNBS rotors are extremely susceptible to picking up brake material and bonding it to the discs. You can do a pad slap by adding new pads and turning the rotors back to true as a temporary fix.

The only fix that cured that on on 08 Denali AWD was PowerStop slotted and counter sunk X drilled rotor all the way around where/ ceramic pads. Every rotation sweeps the material off the rotor surface and allows an exit for the spent brake material to gas off.

No issues on the Denali from 2014 to Feb 2020 when we sold it. Our replacement for the Denali, an 09 AWD Esky now pulses like that as it had OEM style brakes and pads. I did a pad slap on the front to fix it. Now the rears are pulsing. I’m going with bigger brakes and rotors soon so the pad slap is the temp fix for the Esky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
This^ The above post is likely. Im not sure wtf is going on with pad/shoe material lately but i have a 08 ranger that does it. If you want to know if it is material buildup, Blast both sides with a fresh water rinse and than take it out for a residential drive, if it immediately improves than it is buildup, If no change than consider parts replacement. do you do alot of city/stop and go driving?

OP
OP
09_4WD_YUKON

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got them changed. Super fast shipping from Summit. Test drive went great. The pulsing/surge is now gone. Just need to get the matching ones for the rear.