Supposed to pick up a 2016 Z71 today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcsmith21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All- I'm supposed to go to the dealership today to pick up a new 2016 Tahoe z71 fully loaded w sunroof. After reading all the issues with drone noises, ears popping , vibration I'm thinking about backing out and just waiting. Does everyone agree or am I being overly concerned?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
overly concerned...

Test drive it. Tell them you want it for half a day. You should be able to tell in half a day if any of those issues are there

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably overly concerned. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I listen for every little noise in my '16 Suburban z71 largely due to what I've read here. It almosts detracts from the ability to enjoy the vehicle. I do think some people are more sensitive than others to what likely occurs in all of these vehicles, so test drive thoroughly and make sure thats not you.

For what its worth, Im at 3500 miles with no problems aside from a squeak coming from the far rear side window, and that will be fixed at dealer next week. Have towed with our z71, driven through snow and on dirt roads, and a couple of highway trips all without issue.

rattmobbins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally over concerned. It's an absolute fact some of these trucks have the notorious droning issues, but not all of them do. My '15 Escalade doesn't have a single issue you've been hearing about. Couple fit and finish issues, but that's GM for ya, and the dealer works to resolve the squeaks and rattles for me when they pop up.

GM is selling the new Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade faster than they can make them (almost). If the problem was really as common as it seems when you poke around the Internet, it'd be making national headlines daily until GM resolved it.

I agree with NYisles1 about all the negativity detracting from the ability to enjoy the truck. I spent 80 large on my ride and spend the bulk of my time in it waiting for the other shoe to drop. Kinda lousy.

Test drive the hell out of the new rig, take it on the highway for an extended period (20 to 30 minutes), and make sure you cruise around a lot in the 30 to 50 mph range. That seems to be where people notice the droning/buffeting the most.

If it all checks out then buy it and ENJOY it!!! :)

rattmobbins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW OP, your 2010 is freaking killer looking! Can't wait to see what you end up doing with the 2016!

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 15 Tahoe. 15i suburban and 16 Tahoe. Had one issue noise in the rear, weather striping. Had an issue with the wireless charging system in the suburban that was fixed in the 16's.
Take it for a spirited test drive on the highway

OP
OP
W

wcsmith21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after 500 miles my brand new 2016 Tahoe is back at the dealership. I could not stand the cabin pressure on my ears. I've driven a lot the last 3 days and my ears are hurting. Feels like a mild pressure in your head. Had the dealership shop foreman ride with me today and he felt the same pressure. I can't believe I'm going through this. The dealership said they never heard of anything like this. Just my luck.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealership said they never heard of anything like this. Just my luck.

Nonsense. Unless they don't have google.

And wait...did you not have the issues when you took it on an extended test drive?

Sent from my iPhone 7s using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

wcsmith21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did take it for a good drive, but not 2+ hour road trips I just took for work. I was looking out for vibrations, etc. The truck rides great except for the pressure in your ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84