Supercruise owners, thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supercruise requires a data subscription plan.

even states it on the window sticker

1672757260488.png

1672756495389.png

Will someone need to separately purchase a plan within the first 3 years of ownership?

No, because they are prepaying for the monthly subscription when the vehicle is purchased.

The first few months of the 2023s had the 3yr subscription listed out as a (mandatory) option (Denali it was $905 - lesser trims it was ~$1500). After the backlash of forcing the consumer to pay for the onstar subscription GM upped the base price on the Denalis and included the 3yr plan as standard equipment vs itemizing it out separately.

During the transition there are even window stickers that have the 3yr plan listed as standard equipment but it's also listed and charged separately as an option

window sticker with supercruise and data plan itemized out (although it's listed as standard equipment)

1672759636770.png

more recent build with supercruise and the base price is increased by the $905 that was listed out separately

1672759715114.png

mplunk

Reaction score
I've had a 22 Escalade with SuperCruise since March of last year. I will never buy a car in the future without it if I can help it. It takes a lot of getting used to- months for me to be super comfortable with it. But it makes interstate cruising so simple, and it really does reduce fatigue. We drive 4+ hours to a lake house multiple times a month, and it's mostly set it and forget it. Yes you have to look forward, and I'm always watching other people, but the system seems to get better the more you use it. You can look away long enough to send a quick text, change the music, etc.

The lack of fatigue is really hard to explain, until you make the drive with it then take a car without it. You feel a lot different at the end of the trip.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And when the 3 years runs out you will pay monthly to keep using it for as long as you own the vehicle or your 2500.00 option is useless…

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy using Super Cruise. I turned off the auto-lane change and instead hit the turn stalk when I want to switch lanes. With the recent update to the maps, going from 200k to 400k miles of road, two new highways were added that I use frequently.

Would not want to go to a vehicle without it now.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so? We have subscriptions for tons of stuff. Super cruise is well worth it. Nobody is buying 80k+ vehicles and complaining about a 15 to 20$ subscription. Lol.

cheapest supercruise plan currently available is $25.

then again it's not like anyone is paying that right now. They paid the extra $900 upfront. Three years...I'd guess the monthly subscription will be closer to $50/mo than $25

agree 100% that someone buying one of these won't be complaining about spending the extra $$ when their speed limit sign indicator or their super cruise quits working...I'd imagine that most Denali Ultimate buyers won't even have the vehicle in three years...the next person that owns it will be the one complaining...they'll get snookered in by a dealer who paid for a single month just to get everything working

it's not a knock against people's opinions about how they spend their money - it's a knock against the manufacturers selling $85-100k vehicles with fully installed options that only function properly if a monthly data subscription is purchased.

the unknown is where buyers will finally draw the line on these subscription based services...whatever happened to the whole toyota blow up about them charging for remote start access from the physical key?....imagine the opinions range from "I'll pay whatever, who cares it's just money" to "I won't pay anything, it's something I shouldn't have to pay for" with the majority being somewhere in-between

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

then again it's not like anyone is paying that right now. They paid the extra $900 upfront. Three years...I'd guess the monthly subscription will be closer to $50/mo than $25

agree 100% that someone buying one of these won't be complaining about spending the extra $$ when their speed limit sign indicator or their super cruise quits working...I'd imagine that most Denali Ultimate buyers won't even have the vehicle in three years...the next person that owns it will be the one complaining...they'll get snookered in by a dealer who paid for a single month just to get everything working

it's not a knock against people's opinions about how they spend their money - it's a knock against the manufacturers selling $85-100k vehicles with fully installed options that only function properly if a monthly data subscription is purchased.

the unknown is where buyers will finally draw the line on these subscription based services...whatever happened to the whole toyota blow up about them charging for remote start access from the physical key?....imagine the opinions range from "I'll pay whatever, who cares it's just money" to "I won't pay anything, it's something I shouldn't have to pay for" with the majority being somewhere in-between
The Toyota thing is annoying because the cars affected were also cheaper cars. It is what it is. Similar to how we don't have cable now but pay just as much for the 100 streaming services because every show you like is on a different one :(

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I heard BMW is doing it as well with, for example, heated seats.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This article is interesting - it mentions a GM VP saying Supercruise will soon be available on 22 GM models and it's a "one-time fee."

The article also mentions the $18/month BMW has been charging for heated seats. Also interesting, there's a bill in New Jersey state legislature to prohibit OEMs from charging on-going fees for features that function without on-going expense to the OEM or dealer.

Subscription for heated seats is ludicrous. Subscription for something like super-cruise where they continue to refine it and add more roads to the network does make some sense...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019