Supercruise owners, thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 50+ million GM vehicles, someday soon maybe half will have paid subscriptions, these digital services like SC could end up being more profitable for GM than building actual cars.

/

Last edited:

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
live in a stupid ass state where you have to pay personal property tax on vehicles, every year. I would much rather have a one time payment for lifetime access to connected services than additional monthly charges once the vehicle is paid off.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so? We have subscriptions for tons of stuff. Super cruise is well worth it. Nobody is buying 80k+ vehicles and complaining about a 15 to 20$ subscription. Lol.
Wrong. We pay for subscriptions for things we want that we dont have like Netflix. Its a service not a feature. We are paying for every option in this truck. They are mine, I paid for them. I agreed to them. Your premise is paying for "permission" to use what you already paid for and already own. That is ridiculous. Yet in their survey they believe people will pay up to and over 100 dollars a month for subscriptions in vehicles.?? Feels like when we used to rent cars 25 years ago and you paid extra to get a GPS. It was up to you. So you paid for Supercruise, but want to keep paying for it?? Absurd. They will push as far as they can. Paying for features you own?? You paid for it when you bought it. Now we are in bed with the mafia??

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Toyota thing is annoying because the cars affected were also cheaper cars. It is what it is. Similar to how we don't have cable now but pay just as much for the 100 streaming services because every show you like is on a different one :(
I had this very conversation with a friend last night. He was looking at switching from YouTube TV to Fubo. I asked him what all he was paying subscriptions on and what his cable TV bill was before he ditched that. By the time he added up YouTube TV, Paramount+, Disney+, Netflix and something else it was well over what the original cable TV bill. Kind of funny considering all the talk about cutting cable and "saving so much money" by switching to streaming services.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong. We pay for subscriptions for things we want that we dont have like Netflix. Its a service not a feature. We are paying for every option in this truck. They are mine, I paid for them. I agreed to them. Your premise is paying for "permission" to use what you already paid for and already own. That is ridiculous. Yet in their survey they believe people will pay up to and over 100 dollars a month for subscriptions in vehicles.?? Feels like when we used to rent cars 25 years ago and you paid extra to get a GPS. It was up to you. So you paid for Supercruise, but want to keep paying for it?? Absurd. They will push as far as they can. Paying for features you own?? You paid for it when you bought it. Now we are in bed with the mafia??

Ab so Ducking Lutely..... Once I pay for an option (Especially a 2500.00 option..) It should be for the life of the vehicle like adaptive cruise or Air suspension. I may have to pay for occasional map upgrades, but the original package of maps supplied with the vehicle should work for life. What's the diff? I like them all equally but wouldn't pay monthly for air suspension or ACC. I already did! Believe me, this is just the beginning of opening Pandora's box on monthly "Subscription fees". They are testing the waters here to see what the public will tolerate. There have already been articles written that by 2030 or so that a pretty fair share of automaker profits will come from the ongoing "Fee's and subscription service's" arena. It also smacks of "If you don't pay this you can no longer use this" and potentially shutting down the vehicle if you are say, 6 months past due on your "Subscription" agreement. What's to prevent it?

I liken it to buying a house and saying if you don't pay the power company a separate subscription fee... NO AC FOR YOU!

Last edited:

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reading the extended warranty thread, it appears most folks don't mind paying a bunch for some "protection"....so yeah, we're already in bed with the mafia.

DmaxDenaliXL

Reaction score
I fully agree with the fact that I shouldn't have to pay a subscription for supercruise. That said, I also included it on my must have features. Its the future and I think it will help long term resale and I like having the additional braking safety features that come with it.

I fully expect that in the next 3 years when it expires, the general public will have rebelled against the automakers and they will allow the service free. Or as was already mentioned, big brother may force their hand. They may come out with better features that are only available with subscription and what we have today is free.

Worst case, I'm wrong and have to pay to play. I see it as something I want primarily for road trips and would likely renew for a month as needed and cancel. I do the same with Onstar and XM radio. Nice to have on long trips, but not worth paying for it year round. Again, I think this is stupid, but was a risk I'm willing to take.

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the subscription is for the updates and mapping service. Something that needs to be maintained and updated over time. I still agree that it's completely bogus to have to pay an ongoing fee to keep your vehicle's features enabled. It's like a cell phone now, where you pay 2k every other year then another $100 a month to have the privilege of using it on a cell network....

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see these type of 'subscription' services as being a 2 sided sword.

On 1 side, having the option to turn on or off features sounds very nice.
On the other, having to pay a monthly fee for a feature which also has an upfront cost seems broken.

I suppose the key is to understand what the features require and build/buy the vehicle appropriately.
It would be nice to be able to buy a used vehicle and upgrade / downgrade the vehicle based on what you wanted.

I personally don't like the GMC deal concerning the $1500 required option for 3 year xm (xm is $5/month not $500 per year) https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/10/business/gm-onstar-mandatory/index.html. I suppose that's the GMC luxury tax kicking in :)

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will still pay for the options to have the unlimited data and SC features and to include the On-Star features. I get that a lot of people don't like it or refuse to pay for it and that is up to each person, the SC feature is paid for once then you are paying for the maps that enable the SC, just like you paid for the Audio system but then want to add Sirius 360. You don't have to pay for Sirius if you just want AM/FM but that is the way things are now. This upfront cost to the vehicle for the connectivity package as we all know is not stopping anyone from buying a new SUV, just look at the thread on ordering and and the wait times.

Just wait until GM launches it's new vehicles including the PU's and SUV's with the SDV architect, SDV (Software Defined Vehicle) will be coming soon and this is the direction OEM's are going. We will be paying for more features and add on's that we currently don't have to pay for now which I'm sure will get a lot of push back but it will happen and is getting implemented right now into GM vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartman