Supercharger for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveoTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I read a lot of threads about superchargers. Seems as if the performance gains are awesome. I haven’t see too much about how much you notice these while towing. I am considering a supercharger but only so I have more towing torque. I need reliability. I just don’t want to spend 7k and not notice a big difference while towing. Anyone else install one for this reason? Mine is a 5.3 with the 6 speed and max trailering.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that have superchargers in stalled will chime in.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I have not done that specific mod. However similar mods to other tow vehicles (finally) convinced me that performance mods are the enemy of reliability. I leave my towing vehicles as built now.

Issues of particular concern will likely be engine cooling and keeping the trans together.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look into what most call the stage 1 or 2 cam....those seem to offer the best result bang for the dollar.

look up Richard Holdner on Youtube, he is a former westech dyno tech and has a ton of video with numerous levels of mods to LS, LT and SBC engines...all very good stuff

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is the GenIV, so a bit different.. But when adding my edlebrock SC
I really don't thing any reliability changed at all...
I did it for the same reason as you want to. Although mine is the 6.2, but
you have more gears in trans and direct injection.. From what I've found direct injected
motors Love forced induction.
I did have to upgrade my Radiator to deal with the extra heat of SC and towing.
The major drawback is MPG... My MPG dropped from 16-17 not towing hiway to 13-14
and while towing from 9-10 mpg to about 6 mpg. I do have lots more power, but
I think if i were to get a do over, I'd go with cam and head mods... Or a centrifugal supercharger
instead of a roots PDS type SC.

OP
OP
SteveoTahoe

SteveoTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
look into what most call the stage 1 or 2 cam....those seem to offer the best result bang for the dollar.

look up Richard Holdner on Youtube, he is a former westech dyno tech and has a ton of video with numerous levels of mods to LS, LT and SBC engines...all very good stuff
Thanks I will check it out

OP
OP
SteveoTahoe

SteveoTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine is the GenIV, so a bit different.. But when adding my edlebrock SC
I really don't thing any reliability changed at all...
I did it for the same reason as you want to. Although mine is the 6.2, but
you have more gears in trans and direct injection.. From what I've found direct injected
motors Love forced induction.
I did have to upgrade my Radiator to deal with the extra heat of SC and towing.
The major drawback is MPG... My MPG dropped from 16-17 not towing hiway to 13-14
and while towing from 9-10 mpg to about 6 mpg. I do have lots more power, but
I think if i were to get a do over, I'd go with cam and head mods... Or a centrifugal supercharger
instead of a roots PDS type SC.
Yeah I was wondering about the mpg, didn’t consider the radiator but that’s good to know

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some tuners can provide tow tunes. I doubt you will overheat with a supercharger. My concerns would be cat temps and trans life, if stock transmission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a lot of threads about superchargers. Seems as if the performance gains are awesome. I haven’t see too much about how much you notice these while towing. I am considering a supercharger but only so I have more towing torque. I need reliability. I just don’t want to spend 7k and not notice a big difference while towing. Anyone else install one for this reason? Mine is a 5.3 with the 6 speed and max trailering.
These motors love blowers! They use about half a horsepower while cruising so no real loss in fuel efficiency when you're not on the throttle. Supercharger torque is instantaneous so it will hold gears longer before shifting while towing. These supercharger kits add about 100-120 Horsepower to a 5.3. They are very reliable and GM even warrants the add-on kits that came with some special editions from Lingenfelter, Hennessey, Calloway, etc.