Super Tweeters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's finally time for a upgrade for the mids and highs in my truck. I want it to be clear and loud. I've noticed a few titanium super tweeters on ebay etc, but I don't really understand the purpose. Are they worth it? Also should I go with a 6.5" or 8" for my mid woofer?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I ran crescendo's units in mine. But it was more due to space limitations.

I'd run dome tweets if at all possible. Supertweets need to be crossed high or they get really, really, really harsh. That limits your options for a 2 way front stage unless you want to switch to a 3 way, as you'd be pushing limits of what you can cross 6.5"s at just due to the wavelength vs. the size of the cone and internal cancellation/resonance. They take a bit of EQing too as they can be rather peaky in their response curve.

Basically if you need them as loud as possible, sure, run super tweets. But I think you'll be more than satisfied with a pair of quality dome tweeters. Or two. Much more suitable for a daily set up IMO

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Snow.

Start first with a high quality set of two-way speakers, preferably a component speaker configuration, with a high quality crossover, and an amp with power to push the two-way speakers to the volume level that you desire.

A high quality set of two-way component speakers with a high quality crossover will allow you to (1) adjust the volume of the tweeters in relation to the volume of the companion mid-range speakers, and (2) adjust the specific crossover frequency at which the tweeters kick in to produce their high frequency sounds.

This will allow you to custom tailor the sound to your specific listening preferences.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case what would be some good brands for a two way component set? I’ve been looking at ct sounds but I honestly don’t know too much outside of subs lol

EDIT: I’m looking at crescendo’s stuff and it looks pretty good. I’ll probably go with them but I’m not sure exactly what to get. There’s kits, sets, all sorts of stuff

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crutchfield is the place to go
i just put in a set of kicker cs 2way in my rear deck and i have infinity ref 2 way in my doors in my civic and it is crisp. i haven't picked up an amp for it yet but the pioneer av touchscreen i put in is doing pretty well and it has built in crossover control. not sure how well it actually does but i can designate the rear deck as subs directly or manually control the frequency range. it makes a big difference when i play with it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that case what would be some good brands for a two way component set? I’ve been looking at ct sounds but I honestly don’t know too much outside of subs lol

I agree with Drakon that Crutchfield is a great place to shop and review what speakers and their associated feature sets are out there in the marketplace. They have fairly detailed descriptions on their web site for each speaker that they offer, and they are extremely helpful in answering any questions that you may have on the speakers themselves and their installation.

To get the high quality crossover with the capability to 'adjust' the tweeter response profile, you will probably need to start around the $250+ price point. My personal speaker brand preference is Focal, and I have them installed in two cars in my family. You can drive them as loud as you want, and they maintain their great sound reproduction throughout the entire volume level spectrum. I have one set that is already on their second car, and they still sound as great as they did seven years ago, when I installed them in the original car. I also like the JL Audio brand for speakers (and amps), and surely other folks will have preferences for other brands.

Given the above, two speakers that you might want to consider as a starting point in Crutchfield are:
JL Audio C2650
Focal Performance 165AS

Like anything else, your budget may ultimately dictate your speaker selection and purchase.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a sub, a nice mid, and a high quality tweeter/great set of components before a super tweeter should even come into the picture. Even then depending on what you listen to, they may not even be needed. Start with a nice set of components, (if you don't have at least $1,000 into speakers, then you don't need super tweeters you need something else). Check the frequency range of your components and compare it to what the super tweeters offer. What are you listening to, that you think these might even be a good choice? Right off the bat, if you are not sound deadened, then I would do that before I started trying to get a very limited amount of high pitch.

Depending on what you have so far for your system, you may want to get a set of components and "Bi-amp" your components instead of running a crossover. Bi-amp is running each speaker off a separate channel from the amp. So you are running four channels to one set of components, instead of two channels and splitting it half way down the line with a crossover. If you can match the amps selectable frequency range to your speakers frequency range, you are only running power through those frequencies that your speakers will use. Instead of pushing power through the entire range of the amp, and then cutting off the frequencies when it gets to the crossover. Its using your amplifier more efficiently.

The 6.5"s will fit right in the door. The 8"s will fit under the seat, unless you plan on fabbing something custom. I would go with 6.5 just because you have more options. You can get 5 1/4 mids too.

As for quality it really depends on your budget. I got a deal on some JL audio ZR650s a while back, and love em. I bought two more sets just to have because they are discontinued. What do you have so far for you system, and what is your budget?

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a sub, a nice mid, and a high quality tweeter/great set of components before a super tweeter should even come into the picture. Even then depending on what you listen to, they may not even be needed. Start with a nice set of components, (if you don't have at least $1,000 into speakers, then you don't need super tweeters you need something else). Check the frequency range of your components and compare it to what the super tweeters offer. What are you listening to, that you think these might even be a good choice? Right off the bat, if you are not sound deadened, then I would do that before I started trying to get a very limited amount of high pitch.

Depending on what you have so far for your system, you may want to get a set of components and "Bi-amp" your components instead of running a crossover. Bi-amp is running each speaker off a separate channel from the amp. So you are running four channels to one set of components, instead of two channels and splitting it half way down the line with a crossover. If you can match the amps selectable frequency range to your speakers frequency range, you are only running power through those frequencies that your speakers will use. Instead of pushing power through the entire range of the amp, and then cutting off the frequencies when it gets to the crossover. Its using your amplifier more efficiently.

The 6.5"s will fit right in the door. The 8"s will fit under the seat, unless you plan on fabbing something custom. I would go with 6.5 just because you have more options. You can get 5 1/4 mids too.

As for quality it really depends on your budget. I got a deal on some JL audio ZR650s a while back, and love em. I bought two more sets just to have because they are discontinued. What do you have so far for you system, and what is your budget?

My budget honestly really varies. I'll drop more money on something if I feel like its worth it. Right now I'm estimating right around $500 finished. Good to know on the super tweeters, the guys I know locally run them on relatively small midrange systems (with crazy sub setups lol). I listen to rap, rock and country, along with some other stuff in the mix. I take it super tweeters aren't really for that kind of listening. I'm just shooting for crisp and clear sound with decent volume.

Msalinas408

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm right with you man. I love listening to my music very loud. You should definitely check out Focal's component speaker lineup. I've been using their speakers for 5 years now and I have zero complaints about them. Very good quality without an amp, but with an amp, these things ROCK!!! I have a pair of Focal Utopia's in my front door and some 165A1's in my rear doors paired with a JL Audio HD amp. I literally have my own personal IMAX theater in my Tahoe. The amp you use does make a difference with the clarity and crisp sound that you're looking for. JL Audio has been one of the best amps that I've used in any of my setups. Good luck with your setup man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons