Sunroof track arms have snapped - any experience with a fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
Sweet. Let us know how it goes.

Here’s a picture of the issue with my sunroof. Plastic guide arm has snapped at the base. Same way on other side. Would love to know if the kit you got comes with the parts to fix my problem.

Thanks!8F58CE13-9C5F-4D6D-AC78-EB92CD3FE034.jpeg8F58CE13-9C5F-4D6D-AC78-EB92CD3FE034.jpeg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody got a solution for removing these tiny ass rivets from the tracks? As far as I can tell these have to come out so the air deflector can be removed and then the track pieces can be slide forward and out?! I’m lost here.

D8989FC2-8975-43C4-BDD4-418AC396B523.jpeg

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody got a solution for removing these tiny ass rivets from the tracks? As far as I can tell these have to come out so the air deflector can be removed and then the track pieces can be slide forward and out?! I’m lost here.

View attachment 224224

I know this is an old thread.

Seems that drilling out the rivets and then using a self tapping screw to re-secure them is the best way to go.

Unfortunately one of my plastic spring arms broke, and the plastic piece with a spring that attaches the air deflector to the body/track is broken as well. I really don't want to replace the entire sunroof assembly but at this point it seems like I'm doomed.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread.

Seems that drilling out the rivets and then using a self tapping screw to re-secure them is the best way to go.

Unfortunately one of my plastic spring arms broke, and the plastic piece with a spring that attaches the air deflector to the body/track is broken as well. I really don't want to replace the entire sunroof assembly but at this point it seems like I'm doomed.
I had a broken spring clip on my air deflector as well. I found one in an Escalade at my not so local junkyard that now always has GMT800 trucks in the yard. It was a major pain in the ass getting the clip out and putting the replacement in. And after all that, the air dam still doesn’t go up and down like it should. And the arms that attach the deflector to the rivet are both fully intact. I gave up at that point and just put it all back together. Lol. Everything else in the tracks is fixed.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a broken spring clip on my air deflector as well. I found one in an Escalade at my not so local junkyard that now always has GMT800 trucks in the yard. It was a major pain in the ass getting the clip out and putting the replacement in. And after all that, the air dam still doesn’t go up and down like it should. And the arms that attach the deflector to the rivet are both fully intact. I gave up at that point and just put it all back together. Lol. Everything else in the tracks is fixed.

Ugh, that's frustrating I'm sure.

I'm at the point where spending $2k for a brand new sunroof in a truck I've had paid off for 12 years and love to death is looking more and more justifiable, so long as I don't buy another car for a couple of years after I spend the money. For now, I guess I'll just deal with my semi (mostly) operational sunroof.

Question: what's good to use for lubrication of the tracks? I've seen white lithium grease suggested, just curious what y'alls thoughts are.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh, that's frustrating I'm sure.

I'm at the point where spending $2k for a brand new sunroof in a truck I've had paid off for 12 years and love to death is looking more and more justifiable, so long as I don't buy another car for a couple of years after I spend the money. For now, I guess I'll just deal with my semi (mostly) operational sunroof.

Question: what's good to use for lubrication of the tracks? I've seen white lithium grease suggested, just curious what y'alls thoughts are.
I’m in the same boat. I’m dropping a grand today on my trick for other stuff, but as long as it doesn’t need anything major for a while, I can justify the expense today. Lol. I don’t know what the lube I got is based, but I’ll take a pic of the track lube that the parts store sold me that’s designed specifically for sunroof tracks. I’ll get that for you in a little bit when I make it home from my work day.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat. I’m dropping a grand today on my trick for other stuff, but as long as it doesn’t need anything major for a while, I can justify the expense today. Lol.

Yep, I hear that. I spent about a grand last summer on my power steering pump and steering gear box, but you know what? The truck hasn't needed anything except gas and oil since then, thankfully. Easily a smarter financial decision than saying "f*** it, I'll trade it in on a newer truck" and dealing with a payment.

I don’t know what the lube I got is based, but I’ll take a pic of the track lube that the parts store sold me that’s designed specifically for sunroof tracks. I’ll get that for you in a little bit when I make it home from my work day.

Much appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu