Sunroof track arms have snapped - any experience with a fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
Hi.

I've got a sunroof problem on my 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71. Haven't found any threads that deal with the issue.

The arms along the track that guide sunroof glass back and forth have snapped (old age I guess). I haven't gotten any quotes from a dealer or shop on how much it would cost to have these replaced, but I suspect it would be a lot.

Anyone have any experience with replacing the track components on these things? I've got a link to a company that offers a repair kit that seems to have all the parts I'd need, but not sure how to tackle the repair. Would prefer to not have to drop the headliner from the cabin if that's at all possible.

If anyone has done this job or has a link to a good video of the repair (I only find videos of people removing the glass), I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

JetBlackNali

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Probably the same video you saw but should allow you to get in there to access the parts you need.

Hope this helps.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think @adventurenali92 had a problem with his, and got it fixed. He might have an idea once he chimes in.
I have the solution I just haven’t gotten on the fix yet. Lol. It’s pretty low on the priority list as I have some mechanical issues I need to handle first. Lol. And mine isn’t stuck open so I’m not overly worried about fixing it yet hahaha.
@Z71Tahoe2004 , you’re not the first guy to have this exact sunroof issue, and I’m sure you won’t be the last. Lol. It’s a well known and documented issue with this generation suv. In GM’s infinite wisdom they decided to make the sun roof track pieces and the arms that guide it out of cheap plastic. Every GMT800 truck with a sunroof will suffer from it at some point. The track pieces break, get lodged somewhere in the setup and then you open your sunroof only to have it get stuck on those pieces and get stuck in whatever open position it can get to. And then it won’t close because it’s stuck on said brakone pieces. It’s pretty bad. I got fortunate in that the pieces are stuck pretty close to the front of the sunroof so mine will tilt down and start to slide back and then won’t go. And it’ll close properly. I got lucky than mine didn’t get stuck majorly open, like the 2005 Escalade esv that belongs to the family that I share the house with. Hers got stuck all the way open! Major pain in the behind to get it closed up. Not sure what link and kit you have but from the research I’ve done on getting a new kit for it, tgautomotive.com seems to have the best replacement kit and if I remember correctly it’s only $110, which is not too steep. I would assume to access the area in question to get the tracks replaced you would at least need to drop the front area of the headliner and pull the little rubber guide piece around the edge of the sunroof on the headliner to gain access. But I haven’t done it yet so I’m not sure that part.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have the solution I just haven’t gotten on the fix yet. Lol. It’s pretty low on the priority list as I have some mechanical issues I need to handle first. Lol. And mine isn’t stuck open so I’m not overly worried about fixing it yet hahaha.
@Z71Tahoe2004 , you’re not the first guy to have this exact sunroof issue, and I’m sure you won’t be the last. Lol. It’s a well known and documented issue with this generation suv. In GM’s infinite wisdom they decided to make the sun roof track pieces and the arms that guide it out of cheap plastic. Every GMT800 truck with a sunroof will suffer from it at some point. The track pieces break, get lodged somewhere in the setup and then you open your sunroof only to have it get stuck on those pieces and get stuck in whatever open position it can get to. And then it won’t close because it’s stuck on said brakone pieces. It’s pretty bad. I got fortunate in that the pieces are stuck pretty close to the front of the sunroof so mine will tilt down and start to slide back and then won’t go. And it’ll close properly. I got lucky than mine didn’t get stuck majorly open, like the 2005 Escalade esv that belongs to the family that I share the house with. Hers got stuck all the way open! Major pain in the behind to get it closed up. Not sure what link and kit you have but from the research I’ve done on getting a new kit for it, tgautomotive.com seems to have the best replacement kit and if I remember correctly it’s only $110, which is not too steep. I would assume to access the area in question to get the tracks replaced you would at least need to drop the front area of the headliner and pull the little rubber guide piece around the edge of the sunroof on the headliner to gain access. But I haven’t done it yet so I’m not sure that part.
Not only the gmt-800's have the sunroof problems. My mother had an 04 Buick Rainier--little suv--and she had the exact same issue with that sunroof.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’ve been through the resto process on our VW. Two things to do during the process ... leave the headliner off for a while, or until it rains to ensure your drains aren’t plugged and the alignment is just right and ... hushmat all the metal and under the headliner. You’ll never believe how much white noise is in the cabin until it’s gone.

Hushmat is the only one made in USA and will NOT come off from extreme heat of cold. If you’ve got a piece that has to slide in between or under a structural bracket/brace it can be frozen for 5-10 min to lessen the tack until you get it in place.

Leave sunroof drain hoses in place and don’t think about replacing them as 90% of the time they are impossible to be snaked back through bodywork. If sunroof hoses are stuck on the assembly, they will snap off the drain ports if pulled. The hoses have to be cut longitudinally to relieve the compression fit.

Lastly, be sure to remove all the old lube from the tracks and only lube with dielectric grease. Figured out that’s what’s repackaged and sold by all the manufacturers as “factory lube” for $40-$80 for 2-3oz tube. It won’t freeze, melt or break down and doesn’t attract dust/grit like petroleum based lubes will. The failed lube in the mech is what causes the self destruction process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt