Sunroof Stuck Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 Tahoe has the sunroof stuck in the open position.
The fuse is good. I haven't investigated the relay located in the R/S A pillar yet.
If I can't operate the sunroof by jumping out the relay, the common approach is pull down the headliner to get to the sunroof mechanism. That is a major PITA.
That said, has anyone experienced this and was there a quick fix?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a Tech 2 scan tool or a friend who might have one?
You could easily check switch and motor function with a Tech 2.

You could check switch and motor with other tools, but you would probably have to drop the headliner panel to get to connectors and such. Tech 2 would allow you to quickly communicate through the BCM to "see" whether the switch is responding to open/close, input voltage, motor status is idle or running, etc.

You can do all that preliminary diagnosis using Tech 2 without pulling any panels or taking any other tools out.

If not... Start by checking for obvious stuff first.
Does it sound like it is trying to move the glass panel at all?
Is the track free of debris or obstructions?

I am not the expert on stuck sunroof tricks, but I have seen some sunroof panels get hung-up on the rail that make the the front deflector spring up as the panel slides open.
Maybe you could see if pushing down on those rails allows the panel to slide forward...

Worth a shot!

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately my Tech 2 scanner was stolen along with this truck. (Truck recovered but the tools were long gone).
Anyway, dropping the headliner is what I'm trying to avoid.
Every once in a while, I'll toggle the open/close switch and more often than not, there is zero action. Yesterday (I'm just getting back into this repair after letting sit for a year or so) I gave the switch a flick and I could here the sunroof motor respond but no movement, like it's locked up.
No debris or anything like that. More like the home position has been lost. That requires access to the motor mechanism to reset and there's that headliner difficulty in the way.
I'm going to jumper the relay (P/S A-pillar compartment from what I can tell from the manual) and see where that gets me.
Wish I still had that Tech 2.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3