Suburban 2500 or Yukon XL Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now that you're in the realm of newer 2500s with the 6L90E being on the table.... start doing nationwide searches and get the best condition model you can. The drivetrains themselves are designed for 200k+ miles in fleet applications, so daily driving with periodic towing is a walk in the park.

I think 2011 or 2012 the anti-rollback and cooled seats became standard. Cooled seats weren't something I knew I needed until I drove my truck home 900+ miles after buying it.... and absolutely fell in love with the seats!!

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 09 has the integrated TBC, and I’m pretty sure I looked at an 08 with it too.

For reference I had to fly to MN from southern Indiana to get my 2500. High miles but maintained, rust free and the price was right.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 6.2 an aluminum block?

I say 2500 as well, and for the same reasons listed above... My sequoia towed my camper OK. I felt like it was revving high, but I don't feel it was maxed out. That said the burb 2500 is so much more stable and at home towing. The ride is pretty atrocious but it's a 3/4 ton truck so what do you expect. It shares a lot of parts with the 2500 HD trucks and vans so I feel like parts are going to be a lot easier to find than the 6.2.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...the L9H motor with AFM hardware, but not programmed so always OFF,

Anyone know when the integrated trailer brake control makes its appearance in the 2500's? Not a huge deal but a nice to have IMO.

The L9H never had AFM. The very earliest L92s had AFM hardware but it was not activated in the tune. JL1, the ITBC was an option and then became standard about 2009. I do not recall seeing an '09 or later 2500 without it.

Yesterday on Cars.com there were 65 2500 Suburbans and Yukon XLs for sale across the nation and quite a number with well under 100k miles too.

Note: 2007-2009 LY6 is not FlexFuel. 2010-2013 (still being made today) L96 is FlexFuel.

2012s and 2013s are the ultimate with Hill Start Assist (2012), Trailer Sway Control (2012), Cruise Grade Braking - Normal Mode (2012) and Powertrain Grade Braking - Normal Mode (2013).

Is the 6.2 an aluminum block?

Yes.

grapeguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just MHO,
I was in your spot 2 years ago. Looking to replace my TV, 2001 Tahoe, 5.3 w/ 3.72. Towed fine on the flat, but slowed a lot on long hills. I am in NorCal too, Bay Area. Cuesta grade on 101, Tehacapi on 58 and others. The 4 speed tranny was geared to really wind up when dropping into 3rd. After research, settled a 2011 Yukon Denali. That model generation (07-13) comes with the 6.2 and 6 speed trans. I have the 2wd model as it has a slightly higher tow capacity and positrac rear end. 1/3 more hp & torque. Shifting patterns closer spaced, lower 1st gear and higher OD than the old model Tahoe. Last year we pulled the 11,000’ Eisenhower grade outside Denver with ease. Towing is more relaxing now knowing I have the power when I need it. There are more Denali XLs out there than standard length, but I wanted the standard chassis so it would fit in my garage. Good hunting.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 did NOT have the integrated trailer brake controller. Ask me how I know. ;)

Yes, the 6.2 is an aluminum block. It's more of a hot rod motor than a heavy-duty motor. Yes, it's more fun to drive, but I'd rather have the iron-blocked 6.0 for towing big things.

ETA: With regards to what's out there for sale, filtering it down to Yukon XL SLT and Chevy Suburban LT, 2500 trucks, less than 100k miles, cars.com shows 5 for sale nationwide. I prefer Autotrader. Same search returns 10 cars. I've found my last 3 used vehicles using Autotrader - the Suburban, the Denali and my '10 Wrangler.

I limit it to those searches because SLE (GMC) and LS (Chevy) models are cloth seats and likely fleet models with minimal options.

When I was ready to buy, I set my expectations that....

1) It'd probably take 4-6 months to find "the one."
2) It'd likely be a ways away, and I might be flying to get it.

I actually lucked out and found mine in Fort Wayne, IN, about 3 hours away, after two months of searching. And since I used to travel there frequently, I actually knew a local mechanic to give it a full inspection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
norcalboon

norcalboon

Reaction score
Just MHO,
I was in your spot 2 years ago. Looking to replace my TV, 2001 Tahoe, 5.3 w/ 3.72. Towed fine on the flat, but slowed a lot on long hills. I am in NorCal too, Bay Area. Cuesta grade on 101, Tehacapi on 58 and others. The 4 speed tranny was geared to really wind up when dropping into 3rd. After research, settled a 2011 Yukon Denali. That model generation (07-13) comes with the 6.2 and 6 speed trans. I have the 2wd model as it has a slightly higher tow capacity and positrac rear end. 1/3 more hp & torque. Shifting patterns closer spaced, lower 1st gear and higher OD than the old model Tahoe. Last year we pulled the 11,000’ Eisenhower grade outside Denver with ease. Towing is more relaxing now knowing I have the power when I need it. There are more Denali XLs out there than standard length, but I wanted the standard chassis so it would fit in my garage. Good hunting.

What are you towing?

OP
OP
norcalboon

norcalboon

Reaction score
2008 did NOT have the integrated trailer brake controller. Ask me how I know. ;)

Yes, the 6.2 is an aluminum block. It's more of a hot rod motor than a heavy-duty motor. Yes, it's more fun to drive, but I'd rather have the iron-blocked 6.0 for towing big things.

ETA: With regards to what's out there for sale, filtering it down to Yukon XL SLT and Chevy Suburban LT, 2500 trucks, less than 100k miles, cars.com shows 5 for sale nationwide. I prefer Autotrader. Same search returns 10 cars. I've found my last 3 used vehicles using Autotrader - the Suburban, the Denali and my '10 Wrangler.

I limit it to those searches because SLE (GMC) and LS (Chevy) models are cloth seats and likely fleet models with minimal options.

When I was ready to buy, I set my expectations that....

1) It'd probably take 4-6 months to find "the one."
2) It'd likely be a ways away, and I might be flying to get it.

I actually lucked out and found mine in Fort Wayne, IN, about 3 hours away, after two months of searching. And since I used to travel there frequently, I actually knew a local mechanic to give it a full inspection.

Yep, that's what I'm seeing, I have the time so that too is my plan and hope something pops up somewhere near.

grapeguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Norcalboon,
I tow a 2011 Kodiak 241rbsl. Overall length 27’, dry weight 4430#. Loaded weight I figure to be about 5200#. We spend a month down in Palm Springs in February each year (getting ready now), 2 weeks on a May trip and 2 weeks on a fall trip. In between we do short stays (3-4 days) at Sonoma coast camgounds. Obviously My wife and I are retired now and can enjoy our trailer more. By the way, I found my Denali in Fremont, took me 6 months to find one I liked.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With regards to what's out there for sale, filtering it down to Yukon XL SLT and Chevy Suburban LT, 2500 trucks, less than 100k miles, cars.com shows 5 for sale nationwide. I prefer Autotrader. Same search returns 10 cars. I've found my last 3 used vehicles using Autotrader - the Suburban, the Denali and my '10 Wrangler.

I also prefer AutoTrader but they keep blocking me when I open every ad to look at VINs. So I use Cars.com and CarGurus. There is a fair amount of cross platform advertising.

In times past, we also found almost all of our cars on AutoTrader but the last couple came from Craigslist, including my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA